Questions from a Noob

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SharpKnives86

Questions from a Noob

Post by SharpKnives86 »

Firstly let me start by saying hello guys. Been lurking around the forum for the past few weeks researching as much as I can about Italian switchblades and if all goes well, I plan on purchasing my first next week (assuming the dealers I'm interested in buying from will ship to CA). I've also been toying around with the idea of picking up a cheapo clone/knockoff as well and the one I'm particularly interested in is a 9" Taiwan made Milano stiletto for about $40 at directknifesales.com. My first question is, are the Taiwan made knives worth $40 or would I be better off going with a cheaper China model? From what I've read most seem to feel the Taiwan made stilettos are better made than the Chinese ones but do you guys feel they're worth $40 plus S&H? Of course I'm not expecting Italian level quality from an knockoff (though I hear even their QC can be less than stellar too), just something to play around with and build up my collection.

My next question is are their any other FeCalfornia members here and if so, what's been your general experience purchasing switchblades online? I'm not asking who you purchased from or anything like that though if a Mod/Admin feels this question is inappropriate I completely understand and just ignore or delete. I'm don't wanna be breaking any rules.

And finally, I know even the Italian made knives can sometimes have QC issues, but does any of the Italian knife makers seem to have more QC issues than others? The particular stilettos I'm looking at hardest are from Renzo B and Frank B.

Sorry for such a long post but any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton fellas!
sammy the blade

Re: Questions from a Noob

Post by sammy the blade »

$40 is to much! Try grindworx.com and see what they have. They have been in business awhile and they accept returns if you're not happy with your purchase. Another good auto are Ganzos and they can be had in the $20 range if you do your homework.
2024 candidate for president
thom

Post by thom »

I have found you get what you pay for? Wise to start with less expensive knife. Then step up to see the difference. Welcome to the forum.
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

Sammy the blade, I've been checking Grindworx everyday, actually they seem to have gotten some new Frank B's in in the last couple of days. There's a FB 9" stiletto dagger with cocobolo scales for around $70 that's tempting. Probably gonna hold off on it though, as the knife I really want is either an Renzo B 11" stag dagger or black horn bayo stiletto. The Ganzos are cool but not what I'm looking for right now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thom I definitely hear you. And thanks for the welcome and your input.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

SharpKnives86 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:47 pm.....My next question is are their any other FeCalfornia members here and if so, what's been your general experience purchasing switchblades online? ,,,,,
I have never had a problem buying these knives on line. Check out this thread which also deals with the changing attitude in this state concerning these devices. Given the myriad problems that beset the Golden State these days, this topic no longer commands the attention it once did.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24618&p=271153&hili ... ry#p271153
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

Thank you very much my friend! That's all I wanted to know.

Post edited as the question asked entered into areas against our rules. Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with them. Question will be answered by Private Message. All the best!
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

Sorry about that. I saw the notification bell at the top of my page and thought I was responding to a PM. Totally my bad.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Just my 2 cents. There really isn't a difference in the quality of a chinese stiletto and one supposedly made in taiwan. If you are going to buy either, you may as well get the cheapest.imo.

The cheapest Italian stilettos aren't much better they just now cost twice what they are worth. Expensive letter openers. Not knives worth using or carrying if thats what you have in mind.
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

whippersnapper wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:08 am Just my 2 cents. There really isn't a difference in the quality of a chinese stiletto and one supposedly made in taiwan. If you are going to buy either, you may as well get the cheapest.imo.

The cheapest Italian stilettos aren't much better they just now cost twice what they are worth. Expensive letter openers. Not knives worth using or carrying if thats what you have in mind.
I appreciate the input whippersnapper. I'm leaning towards just skipping the Asian clones altogether and just stick Italian made when it comes to the classic stiletto switchblades.

I'm in CA so I can't carry an auto knife with a blade over 2" and even if I could legally carry one, I have other knives that are better suited for edc, general work or even defense. I know the standard Italian made swivel bolster stiletto switchblades are more for show than anything and I'm fine with that.
Snickers

Post by Snickers »

I made two videos for another forum. They may be helpful to you. Enjoy!

This one I compared the $20 Chinese stiletto to my $70 Armando B stiletto. Stark difference in quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fkxeZ2 ... e=youtu.be

The member there remarked that it's not a fair comparison. I expected that and I knew. Now I compared the $50 auto knife to my $70 AB stiletto and both are Italian made. The $50 knife is the light blue one and I think you'll want one. 8)

This video is in good nature and jesting with the fellas on that forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWZDyp5 ... e=emb_logo
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

Thanks for posting and making those vids! I'll definitely check them out. Left you a thumbs up on both.
Snickers

Post by Snickers »

Forgot to show you where that knife came from:

https://www.grindworx.com/cat--AKC-Automatic--343
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

Thanks for the link. I've noticed over the last few days, Grindworx has been getting in some new Italian autos including some Frank B 11" swinguards and 2 standard 9" stilettos (1 bayo and 1 dagger) with cocobolo scales. The dagger is $70 though while the bayo is over $100. I'd be more temped of it were a flat grind.
Snickers

Post by Snickers »

Them Beltrame knives are good stuff. Armando and Frank are brothers and I have the Armando stiletto. Frank's is supposed to be better.
SharpKnives86

Post by SharpKnives86 »

I've seen some beautiful work from both Frank and Armando as well as Renzo B. Infact I'm currently torn between an 11" black horn bayo or a an 11" stag dagger stiletto both by Renzo. I know Frank B is considered by many to be the best of the Italian makers (at least in the sub $200 range) but I've also heard he's had some more than normal QC issues the last few years. I know all of the makers have had QC issues from time to time and I also know because true Italian switchblades are handmade, some imperfections are to be expected so as long as the knife functions correctly, has a fairly tight lock up and isn't a "banana" I can deal with a few scratches or grind lines that aren't 100% perfect.