Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
User avatar
fastr19
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:03 pm

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by fastr19 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Image

User avatar
fastr19
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:03 pm

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by fastr19 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Image

User avatar
whippersnapper
Posts: 7288
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by whippersnapper » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm

The last American "production" made Italian style auto I can remember was the DKD Phantom swingguard by Wayne Clark. Discontinued probably 10 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZdcZC6k80
https://www.bladehq.com/item--DKD-Ameri ... ntom--1051

Or maybe the Protech "Don" or some might consider the Protech "Godfather" or Godson Italian style.
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Protech-Large-Don--542
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Protech-G ... Black--468

So yeah, a custom made knife is about the only choice for an American made stiletto that I can think of.

PS- Far from Italian style, the Stan Moizis back spring release knives are interesting. He seems to be based in BC, Canada. Surprised he hasn't been raided by the mounties...

tedmen
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:39 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by tedmen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 pm

fastr19 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:14 pm
Check out Pat Havlin's work. (picklock Pat). He mad the knife I pictured.
Also that lever you are referring too was used in the early Aerials.
Sorry but what does "early Aerials" refer to?
Yes I know about Pat's knives. I was just making a rather lame point about the state of knife making these days and the paucity of US made quality Italian style stilettos. I'm guessing they just don't sell.

The D. Clark Phantom was nice.

User avatar
fastr19
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:03 pm

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by fastr19 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 pm

tedmen wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 pm
fastr19 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:14 pm
Check out Pat Havlin's work. (picklock Pat). He mad the knife I pictured.
Also that lever you are referring too was used in the early Aerials.
Sorry but what does "early Aerials" refer to?
Yes I know about Pat's knives. I was just making a rather lame point about the state of knife making these days and the paucity of US made quality Italian style stilettos. I'm guessing they just don't sell.
The Phantom was nice.
The knife with the white scales is an Aerial. An early knife that was later reproduced. They are still hard to find.

User avatar
whippersnapper
Posts: 7288
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by whippersnapper » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 pm

Sorry but what does "early Aerials" refer to?
The opening mechanism appears to be similar to Stan Moizis knives you talked about earlier (except Stan hides it inside). They both lift up the back spring to fire the knives.

I believe that's what fastr19s comparison was meant to be.

tedmen
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:39 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by tedmen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:59 pm

whippersnapper wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 pm
Sorry but what does "early Aerials" refer to?
The opening mechanism appears to be similar to Stan Moizis knives you talked about earlier (except Stan hides it inside). They both lift up the back spring to fire the knives.

I believe that's what fastr19s comparison was meant to be.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the exposed mechanism. The Moizis version is slick. Where does the word 'Aerial' come from for this knife? Brand-model name?
I see the knife maker Chris Crawford makes a nice slim opening mechanism for a flush button spring leaf thin automatic too. He has a youtube video showing it.

User avatar
whippersnapper
Posts: 7288
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by whippersnapper » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 am

The name of the manufacturer.

Here is some history.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... hp?t=29798

User avatar
eddymunster
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by eddymunster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:21 pm

Jaeger Bros. stamp and AC Mfg Co. stamped Aerials 1970's production I think.
Attachments
DSC02553 (Medium).JPG
DSC02553 (Medium).JPG (303.59 KiB) Viewed 952 times
DSC02550(1) (Medium).JPG
DSC02550(1) (Medium).JPG (227.07 KiB) Viewed 952 times

User avatar
jim d,
Posts: 6897
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 9:36 pm
Location: Mayberry, N.C. / U.S.A.

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by jim d, » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 pm

Great examples Alan and eddymunster. Thanks for sharing

Jim

tedmen
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:39 pm
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Knife Shows and endless tactical flippers

Post by tedmen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:18 pm

eddymunster wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:21 pm
Jaeger Bros. stamp and AC Mfg Co. stamped Aerials 1970's production I think.
Very nice.

Post Reply