Nickel silver bolsters

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Lucentcrow

Re: Nickel silver bolsters

Post by Lucentcrow »

Metalgod

Hi mate I didn’t polish them I like them old looking I asked the question why the gold tinge in some that’s all.

Cheers

Joe
thom

Post by thom »

rock-n-roll$$$$$$ wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:56 am I have a two part polishing cloth,one side takes the tarnish off,the other side polish's,I got it on amazon,works very well.
R-n-R, Do you know the name or maker of what you use? I would like to try it.
Thanks,
Thom
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

thom,it say's on the cloth,SabrinaSilver.com,the paper that it came with say's jewelry care cloth,I got it 4 years ago and it stills works vert well.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Flitz is more abrasive than Simichrome, but they both have their uses. On nickle-silver or brass Simichrome is great, but it exposes new high shine metal which oxidizes more readily, so seal immediately with Renaissance or shoe polish (and yes only the price seems different.) For stainless, like blades, Flitz is faster and will remove fine scratches. Most factory blades are chemically polished (a type of etching) and thus appear satin or even slightly grainy. Buffing manually or with a felt wheel (Dremel) will make a noticeable improvement. Then use Simichrome. Note, it can be too agressive. It works well on horn and bone, but will chew into plastics, especially with a felt wheel. Think Flitz for hard materials (steel, bone) and Simichrome for softer. Always try the gentle one first and proceed with caution. If you want even more shine, try Pink Scratchless or Diamond paste (the smaller the micron, the finer the cut).
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks for the lesson ILS.
Thom
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

De nada. The Corvette guys are amazed by how shiny my tailpipes are ... Stuff I learned shining knives. The late DonC was my mentor. His were blinding.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."