Spring life?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JayK

Spring life?

Post by JayK »

Im not a metallurgist and will concede to the conventional wisdom of those that are and or, switchblade collectors that have experienced springs weakened by simply storing them in the closed position.

My argument (or discussion) is I have stored 30rd rifle magazines, fully loaded for 30+ years some as much as 40. I know...

Deal is those cheap wire magazine springs are as good as new today. This debate has raged off and on with the gun community for years, finally a guy claiming to be an engineer of something spoke pretty knowledgably about springs both flat and round, his opinion was working the spring weakens it not leaving it compressed.

Has anyone put a switchblade away, closed. and come back to it later to find the spring was weak?

How much late or is this an urban myth hahaha I tried the search feature :lol:
sammy the blade

Re: Spring life?

Post by sammy the blade »

According to Bill DeShivs it doesn't matter, good enough for me
2024 candidate for president
JayK

Post by JayK »

sammy the blade wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:19 pm According to Bill DeShivs it doesn't matter, good enough for me
probably should've searched his forum I agree if he says its good to go then I am good to go
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Yes the true response is that it doesn't matter. The rapid and repeated opening and closing of the knife heats up the spring and could cause an issue.
JayK

Post by JayK »

Thanks knife people. I guess I sort of scoffed when I kept reading misinformation on the Internet from folks saying you have to store them open so not to damage the spring. It did not ring true to me but having no experience with handmade Italian switchblades and springs of indeterminate content and temper I did not know. I do know that rifle magazines even good ones like Magpul have flimsy wire springs and leaving them compressed does no harm.

Im a switchblade rookie thanks again.