AKC Question

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Billyfish

AKC Question

Post by Billyfish »

Is it possible to date an AKC auto by the logo or its position on the blade?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: AKC Question

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Probably not. You could send a picture to Angelo at www.3knives.com
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Has AKC been around that long? That's Angelo Campolin Jr., isn't it? When did AKC come about?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Within the last 15 years. I don't keep up with it.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Confidentially, I would rather date a woman (but that's entirely different). :P
Fishtail Picklock
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Arrrgh.. :roll:
According to AKC's site they've been in business 15 years as Bill guessed.
I'm trying to get the scratches off the blade with a Norton rubber matrix stone; it's working pretty well.
Attachments
akc1.jpg
akc1.jpg (130 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
akc.jpg
akc.jpg (107.48 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I now see what you mean by the placement of the stamp. I’ve never seen it in that position personally. Also marked stainless steel is interesting.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Feel like I'm missing part of a conversation...?
The stamps used to be like that. Here is an interesting post on that particular stamp and how some knives were counterfeit.
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10269
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

According to the picture referenced in the linked post it would seem this one is genuine.
What part of the conversation are you missing Whippersnapper? :)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That's a Massaro-made lever lock that AKC sold.
The tang is not large enough for the engraving.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Thanks Bill; it looks like I'll be using the search function for awhile. 8)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

JulesVane wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 pm I now see what you mean by the placement of the stamp. I’ve never seen it in that position personally. Also marked stainless steel is interesting.
When I read Jules' post above it sounded like there was a post missing about the stamp itself being wrong . When I read the original post it sounded like you were more concerned about aging AKC knives. I was confused about Jules post.

Did you buy it thinking it was vintage? I got the impression you were disappointed.

I have owned a few leverlocks and shellpullers made by Massaro with the AKC marking like yours. Wish I would have kept one in stag like yours with a clip point blade. They seem to be rarer than spear point leverlocks and better suited for what I use a knife for. 8)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I'm sorry I added the confusion to the post. I wasn't familiar with the AKC stamp located anywhere other than the tang. When Billy asked about the position and age, it threw me off. Besides my 2 Leverlettos, I've only got this one AKC leverlock to compare to with no mention of stainless steel included in the stamp. It sure is different.

Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Not disappointed at all whippersnapper. I knew it was used, but I wasn't necessarily looking for true vintage, just a nice example of this form.
However old it is it works great and I'm starting to get somewhere with removing the scratches on the blade. This is a very nicely made knife, not a bit of wiggle when the blade is open. It was an ebay buy it now; I probably paid a bit too much for it but no regrets. :)

whippersnapper wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:56 pm
JulesVane wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 pm I now see what you mean by the placement of the stamp. I’ve never seen it in that position personally. Also marked stainless steel is interesting.
When I read Jules' post above it sounded like there was a post missing about the stamp itself being wrong . When I read the original post it sounded like you were more concerned about aging AKC knives. I was confused about Jules post.

Did you buy it thinking it was vintage? I got the impression you were disappointed.

I have owned a few leverlocks and shellpullers made by Massaro with the AKC marking like yours. Wish I would have kept one in stag like yours with a clip point blade. They seem to be rarer than spear point leverlocks and better suited for what I use a knife for. 8)