New Mago (of Italy) OTF Knives.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BTB0923

Re: New Mago (of Italy) OTF Knives.

Post by BTB0923 »

Just search "13 inch out knife" on DHGate, I don't want to link directly. It says 13 inch in the listing but be forewarned it is DHGate and the sellers can tend to embellish item descriptions, so study the pics carefully.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

https://www.dhgate.com/product/large-si ... 0983494161
I doubt there 13 inches it states below the listing there 28cm OA
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

wicollector wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:52 am I doubt there 13 inches it states below the listing there 28cm OA
Ah yeah, see? Sorry about that. The titles/descriptions on there aren't always accurate. Even the pictures are doctored sometimes. Gotta have a keen eye.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

I just got one yesterday. It was listed as 9” and it’s close to that.
As Bill said, they are made of zinc alloy and are heavy for their size.
They are completely unmarked including country of origin.

Definitely unique in their appearance and seem to function well . They resemble a bloated Italian stiletto.
There isn’t much play when open and they actually put an edge on the blade.
Cool novelty, not much more than that. If you buy one , don’t pay more than $35 and you won’t be disappointed .
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

My 11" (28cm) black-handled version arrived today. It is completely unmarked. Nothing at all. It is obviously Asian and made of Zinc alloy It is 100% unique and well-built. I think that it was worth the price for the "fun factor". As JPD1998 stated, it looks like an Italian OTF that should be attending an exercise class to shed the excess girth.

The "cool factor" is undeniable and it seems as if there's no play in the blade. Italian, it isn't, but "coolness" is in the eyes of the beholder. This, it is.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
thom

Post by thom »

Got my black one today. It is cool looking and fun for $39. You get what you pay for. Probably will not go into my display case. And my credit card has not been hacked. So far. A win win.
Thom
They should have made the boslters solid, or filled in the gap somehow. That would make it soooo much better.
Last edited by thom on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

up up in the air about buying one
, should i buy now, or wait for the ''BILL DE SHIVS'' autographed model ???
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm sure I'll come out with one soon.....
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:03 am I'm sure I'll come out with one soon.....
Funny, Bill! A real "laugh-riot", you are. These are fun but pale in comparison to the Italian line (and Benchmade). The blades on these look as if they are decent steel. (nothing special, but decent).

I'm waiting on a Chinese "Colt II" coil-spring fired auto that should arrive soon. (They've had good reviews on other sites and have been sold on Sharper Deals). It is marketed as a true "pocket auto" and looks as if it will fill that role rather well.
Fishtail Picklock
Nick Wiggins

Post by Nick Wiggins »

To start with...I went ahead and ordered one of these from grindworx...as I don’t trust DHgate any longer. I vowed that if I was satisfied with the build quality enough..I was going to rescale it in stag, and polish it up a bit.
I own otfs of all types, from cheapo Italian crap, to one of Paul Panaks(Burn) Italian otfs(if any of you have cheacked out his site in the past...the scrimshanding is my work).
Upon receiving this thing...the first thing I did was disassembly. I’m one of those guys...I want to see what mechanism they used for the d/a. I’ll have to say...it was solid, minimal moving parts...which means lessened potential failure. The blade had relatively little play..about as much as my bench made infidel(which btw, has the worst designed and constructed mechanism of all the otfs I’ve seen).
As for the speculation of origin: when I emailed pics of my finished stag conversion to grindworx...my response came from someone at bladehq...so apparently they’re connected. Maybe these(mine at least, since it’s mark such) are from Italy..as bladehq is pretty reputable...
EDC6C4BE-BE56-4CBD-B639-53ACD5E039D0.jpeg
EDC6C4BE-BE56-4CBD-B639-53ACD5E039D0.jpeg (211.6 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
81B6023A-92C6-4B53-8BE4-C4D184932CDA.jpeg
81B6023A-92C6-4B53-8BE4-C4D184932CDA.jpeg (193.75 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
EDC6C4BE-BE56-4CBD-B639-53ACD5E039D0.jpeg
EDC6C4BE-BE56-4CBD-B639-53ACD5E039D0.jpeg (211.6 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
Attachments
B43A4D77-851A-434E-BB9E-1579C0F16F49.jpeg
B43A4D77-851A-434E-BB9E-1579C0F16F49.jpeg (218.81 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

That looks really good! I think for a small fee you could have them marked as made on the Moon.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

first one of those i have liked...welcome aboard!
Nick Wiggins

Post by Nick Wiggins »

A couple of thoughts on the origin debate: First of all, the availability of like knives on dhgate proves nothing, as benchmade, microtech, et al are available as well. Secondly, if these are actually from china(and not Italy), that may be a boon...as anyone with any background collecting Italian stilletos can attest to, that their build quality and quality control leave a lot to be desired in many instances.
Back when the Switchblade Forum existed...there were a few of us referred to as ‘knife butchers’...as we weren’t willing to settle for the knife as it came from Maniago. Instead..we chose to rescale, re-liner, and rebolster the knife, and generally pay more attention to the fit and finish. This actually was where/how Paul Panak got his start back in the 90s...
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Yep, old time knife manglers...It is how a bunch of us were when trying to find the perfect knife.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nick, Nick, Nick- all those Microtechs, Benchmades, etc., on DHGate are counterfeits!
EVERYTHING on DHGate is Chinese, and most is counterfeit. I had a bass guitar built through them. It was a counterfeit VOX. I had them install the decal backwards so it days "XOV."
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.