Cheap Chinese switchblades. "Click therapy"?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Cheap Chinese switchblades. "Click therapy"?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

We all know that cheap Chinese switchblades are fun "toys" for theatric performances and disposable "get off me" knives. While their firing mechanisms aren't very robust, are they good for "click therapy" until they wear out? :roll: :?:

Perspiring minds want to know. :mrgreen:
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Re: Cheap Chinese switchblades. "Click therapy"?

Post by sammy the blade »

I only have 3 or 4 of those survivors left from the old days. A couple of cheap stilettos and an xwing or two, that haven't been handled much. I have quite a few Ganzo knives that I consider inexpensive.
2024 candidate for president
Woolly Caterpillar

Post by Woolly Caterpillar »

I also have several cheap stilettos from Edgeco that I bought way back in the day. A couple are purportedly (according to the blade stamp) made in Italy;the others are stamped Taiwan. All have swedge blades with a nail nick. Actually, the quality, while not great, is really not that bad. The Taiwanese knives are quite sharp and have needle point blades. I use them for opening boxes, clam shell packages, etc.
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

I have a few of the Taiwanese "Milanos" and a few older ones that are unmarked. They're not that bad as long as your expectations are not too high.
The unmarked ones were bought on "the bay" before they started to block auto knife sales and are almost 20 years old.
They still fire fast and don't' show any signs of wearing out.

Over the last 10 years , I've bought a bunch of the Chinese made stilettos ( I see them at flea markets and can't help myself). The China made knives have evolved over the years from pure garbage to actually being a decent knife. I bought a 10" stiletto a few months ago with red and black swirl acrylic scales, and its quite nice. The blade grinds are good, the scales are fitted decently and it has metallic washers in the pivot that keeps the blade centered and reduces blade rub. It was a bargain at $20 ( IMO).
sammy the blade

As long as you like them that's all that matters. Post this on blade forum for a good reemimg and a laugh.
Fishtail Picklock

The Ganzo knives are good for EDC. I routinely carry an M719 and use it all the time. I bought my roommate an M707. She carries it daily and loves it. Our neighborhood tends to get a bit rough due to drug (methamphetamine) use and she isn't afraid to defend herself. ($18.31 is cheap "life insurance").
Fishtail Picklock
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

The Ganzo autos are very well made for the price.
I have a few of the aluminum handled models and they look like they should cost three times the price.
Fishtail Picklock

Some of the new "stamped" Chinese stuff isn't very impressive. $10.96 for a "glorified letter-opener" with a cheap 440A blade is little more than a toy with a 3.81" blade.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

JPD1998 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:40 pm The Ganzo autos are very well made for the price.
I have a few of the aluminum handled models and they look like they should cost three times the price.
Highly agree with you on the Ganzo! I can't say how good the blade steel is because I don't have to cut a whole lot of stuff. They sharpen up nicely and are well made especially for being in the $20 range. I edc a 7211 every day and hasn't failed to fire yet.
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

sammy the blade wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:00 am Highly agree with you on the Ganzo! I can't say how good the blade steel is because I don't have to cut a whole lot of stuff. They sharpen up nicely and are well made especially for being in the $20 range. I edc a 7211 every day and hasn't failed to fire yet.
I have a 7211 too, it's a perfect size for edc. Great knife.

Over the years the thing that plagued most of the cheap imports is soft hardware ( plunge locks , stop pins, etc), but on Ganzo knives, the locks and stop pins don't deform , even after repeated opening.

I just checked Ganzo's site and they don't show those aluminum auto models anymore. Maybe they were too expensive to manufacture?
But of the models they still show I have a 7482-cf and it's another knife that looks like it should be much more expensive. The frame has a few lightening holes and it reduces the weigh significantly. It carries like a much smaller knife than it is.
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

I looked again, Ganzo does still show the aluminum autos on their site.

The model is 7582AL, the G10 version is 7582. I have both and they're fantastic knives for the price.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

At the Mystic show there were some cheap stilettos from China. $10. I assume they would be fun for a toy on your desk for that price....