AGA Campolin Classic Line Picklocks

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Woolly Caterpillar

AGA Campolin Classic Line Picklocks

Post by Woolly Caterpillar »

I continue to be impressed with the experience of forum members. I did a search regarding (slow) kicksprings and immediately found one describing the slow opening of the Campolin 70th anniversary picklocks, one of which I also own. And, yes, it also is a slow opener. Are the 2018's any faster? The reason I ask is because I may pick one up just for a different handle material but if the release is no different, I will pass. Yeah, I know this probably should not be a consideration but it is for me.
jim d,

Re: AGA Campolin Classic Line Picklocks

Post by jim d, »

Well we all seem to like hard kicking knives, seems it's part of the fun. I remember reading Grandpa Campolin commenting that they should not me made to kick hard because that causes premature wear and self-destruction. I reasoned that if anyone would know, he would.

Jim
Woolly Caterpillar

Interesting since my Campolin flat guard and 10" picklock are among the fastest opening (hardest kicking) autos I own. My Campolin Sahara is also a very strong opener as is my Campolin fishtail.
Rogers

Post by Rogers »

Yes all my campys are that way I’ll never deal with FB again.
Woolly Caterpillar

Now you have arrived in front of the best italian stiletto you can find. This is a superb knife made by A.G.A. CAMPOLIN. It is an italian switchblade exactly made like the knives from 40's-50's. It has 2 pieces 5mm. spring and blade. Nickel silver button, safety and bolsters. Kick is very strong. Very well finished. Solid nickel silver flatguard bolsters. Made in a limited quantity of 150 pieces on 2016. If you are looking for the top of italian automatic knives, you are in the right place!

This is the description of the flat guard picklock from Campolin's store (3 Knives) website. Note the reference to how hard it kicks open. I don't know where Angelo downplayed strong opening knives but this description speaks for itself.
kugr

Post by kugr »

I have 2... beautiful amazing pieces!
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

Rogers wrote:Yes all my campys are that way I’ll never deal with FB again.

All the Franks I own kick nice. Especially this swinger I got. I mean this is the hardest kicker of my collection. This thing fires real real freaking hard.
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I personally consider a knife that fires 'real freaking hard' to be poorly-tuned at best. IMO, a well-tuned action should have just enough kick to reliably engage the lock tab every time. Anymore than that and the knife is just needlessly and prematurely wearing itself out for no good reason. I've never understood the preference for brute force pounding over clock-like precision in an automatic knife mechanism, but to each their own.
kugr

Post by kugr »

The firing hard part.... the faster the blade moves, the bigger the smile....
My OKC strikefire is slower than a cheap chinese spring assist... it was disappointing... my protech godson is super fast... had a smile worthy of a christmas picture!!

Now, back to the topic. To me, the power or kick isn't important to me. Once I buy a new knife, new or old, I try it about 5 times, then its into the display case. On a side note, if it feels iffy, I'll determine if I need to clean/dismantle, and go on from there.
Looking for those un-repairable, lost cause stilettos.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

kugr wrote: Once I buy a new knife, new or old, I try it about 5 times, then its into the display case. On a side note, if it feels iffy, I'll determine if I need to clean/dismantle, and go on from there.
I agree Clark. A new piece gets a few snaps, oiled up, wiped down and under glass for me as well (sad, right? lol). I never usually have snap issues with the 7" thru 11" models, but the 13" to 18" can prove more than sluggish. All I hope for, is when held horizontally blade swinging down, is that it can make it up to lock up. We've all complained of blade play and in excess it's certainly annoying. But, I've had some new pieces that the top bolsters are so tight with no play at all, they grip the blade like a vice, slowing the snap way down! I guess just some breaking in will help in this case.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)