What’s the deal with..

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
portlandmike

What’s the deal with..

Post by portlandmike »

What’s the deal with Russian prison knives? I have seen some here and on Facebook but don’t understand the term. The name conjure up images of prisons that have convicts making automatic knives like American prisons had them making license plates. Does anybody know the story behind this term ?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: What’s the deal with..

Post by natcherly »

That "prison knife" label is just the sizzle that sells the steak. A marketing gimmick.
Georgedbugge

Post by Georgedbugge »

I remember thinking "If this is what they let the prisoners make, what are the kids in Russian high school metal shop up to?" :D
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

AK 74's
2024 candidate for president
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Russian prisoners take pride in their work. It's a shame what has become of these lazy American cons nowadays trying to pass off pointy toothbrushes as "knives". I blame the schools.

But seriously, there are just a lot of urban legends with Russian knives. I think it started with the AK-47 knives. The legend is that they were made by prisoners with the leftover parts from AK-47s. Makes a good story but strains credulity. I would guess that the reality is that the knife just kind of has the same basic profile as a rifle so someone decided to call it an AK-47. And they were probably done in a shop by someone who had a lot more freedom to innovate than you would expect a Russian prison to offer.

Because that legend caught on all the Russian knives eventually became marketed as "prison knives". If they were being made by prisoners, you probably wouldn't see such a wide variety of designs.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

It was a cool thought.... thanks guys

Mike
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Just my opinion, but most of the "Russian prison" knives I've seen are bizarre and ugly. Sort of like 60's Japanese electric guitars.

It's probably just a Nigerian scam.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Mike

I think that some of the early knives were made in Russian prisons in the 70s and 80s probably in machine shops on the prison site 'but I cant be sure and have no proof .Mostly its what I have been told here on TB .
There are some types that greatly resemble each other as if they came from certain regions in Russia Croatia etc and then totally out of the blue models that are unique.
Check the older posts here.

I really quite like them as they are quite sturdy and well made for their relatively low prices.
Some are really nice looking and quite unique with engraving and unusual firing mechanisms....they are cool and very collectable imho.

I bought these two as examples as I like the different mechanisms and knives that just stand out from the normal production pieces...there is some delicate work gone into them aswell.

I do however believe many are just handmade pieces given a cool "Russian Prison "label and made by manglers and Knifemakers in the east.

Hope your well mate.

gravknife
Attachments
20180227_155744.jpg
20180227_155744.jpg (695.51 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

those are very unique and cool... Thanks Ian

Mike
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I think I've heard a story about them being made by Russian prisoners as a job, similar to license plates.

I've always thought that anything with that label seems to command a higher price. Because of that differance I'd be very sceptical of anything labeled in such a manner.

However, I've also never seen any evidence that disproves the story either.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
bennieJut

What’s the deal with

Post by bennieJut »

What particular Stipula?

There are a couple of close-outs with real good prices right now on the Giardino Italiano site.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Used to be a guy here that sold a bunch of those prison knives. He tried to auction some of them and got alot of flack over it. Haven't seen anything from him since.
2024 candidate for president
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I've owned half a dozen of them all purchased from Mike Kovalenko out of the Ukraine. Like the man said, unusual shapes, firing and locking mechanisms. Mike is good to deal with, low prices, never misrepresents and when he offers, the sale completes in minutes. I doubt that the are truly Russian, or made in Prison ... It's a moniker like "rizzy" or "balisong". They always have something cool and unique, so I haven't been disappointed yet.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Thanks, Ian!

PROSIT! :mrgreen:
Fishtail Picklock