Best quality traditional Italian switchblade?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
SwitchGear

Best quality traditional Italian switchblade?

Post by SwitchGear »

In a previous message I’d mentioned Due Buoi knives .
What do you all believe to be the best quality traditional Italian switchblade would be, picklock/swivel/ring pull, whatever..
thom

Re: Best quality traditional Italian switchblade?

Post by thom »

Picklock has less to go wrong. But I think it comes down to personal preference.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

I have mostly Frank Beltrame knives that I think are pretty good. I can't afford higher end knives.
SwitchGear

Post by SwitchGear »

Maybe we can get this thread going.

My experience is basically with Beltrame and now a Renzo Pascotto.

I’ve got my eyes set on a Walt’s Latima next!

Obviously Picklock Pat are possibly the benchmark of the finest?

I’m looking for tight fitting scales, liners, etc tight lock up, tight buttons and beautiful... what makers should I be lookig for?
arlen

Post by arlen »

I am fairly new to switchblades and have purchased 8 Italian stiletto 11" bayonet blade knives online in the last 6 months.
It appears to me that the Italian knives are handmade knives (not mass produced). I examine each of my knives quite closely and find that each knife is going to vary from another. Each is unique in fit and assembly, but not greatly different. My purchases have been only picklocks and swivel bolsters (A.G.A. Campolin and the Beltrames).
I have one 5cm thick spring, one 4cm, and six 3cm. Each thickness of spring has it advantages to me.
A forum member rehandled one knife for me and also added a D-stamp liner. The liner is a wonderful feature of the stiletto.
With new knife purchases, I feel that you get what you get. A perfect knife will be produced by each maker every once in a while (I suppose), but the average switchblade that they make is mighty fine workmanship.
But, remember, I am a novice.
Regards,
arlen
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

If we're talking about the best quality current production Italians, the general consensus points to the AGA Campolin 25cm picklocks with 5mm blades and springs made by Renzo Pascotto. I've never even heard of a dud coming from this lineup, so they're a pretty safe purchase, sight unseen. The only issue I've had with these is the occasional under-extended banana curve. The AGA/Renzo P Frosolones are also right up there quality wise.

The Latama/Walt's Classic swivel bolsters made by Frank Beltrame, also with 5mm blades and springs, are also very high quality knives, but I've encountered a few with less than ideal quality control from the last few runs, so it's best to assess those on an individual basis. Both these and the AGAs above will set you back ~$250 to $300.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

SwitchGear wrote:Maybe we can get this thread going.

My experience is basically with Beltrame and now a Renzo Pascotto.

I’ve got my eyes set on a Walt’s Latima next!
Which Renzo Pascotto piece did you get SwitchGear? Are you looking into modern or vintage Latama's? There's some really great modern production and great vintage production from many makers. You could pay a little, you could pay alot. What seems near perfect to us (you), may not seem so perfect to others. "Best quality" is really a tough call.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
SwitchGear

Post by SwitchGear »

JulesVane
I recently traded for a 11” FROSOLONE.
Brazilian and Brass it’s pretty!
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

Can we see it ?