Switchblade vs Folding Knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Billy02

Switchblade vs Folding Knife

Post by Billy02 »

Is switchblade knife better or folding knife for outdoor adventures?
gravknife

Re: Switchblade vs Folding Knife

Post by gravknife »

Billy02
I would take a folding knife or lock knife over most if not all switchblades for outdoor situations .

A good Buck knife or EKA folder is handy in a backpack and has less breakable parts than the intricate switchblade and also can take cutting pressure on the backspring without wearing the Sear or mechanics all switchblades have.

If there was a switchblade i carried in my pack it would be a du bois or a german clipoint leverlock or an Al mar Sere or other heavy duty working one over any italian stilletto bayonet blade due to the obvious cutting/skinning whittling advantages of better steels a d blade types.

If you are a serious bushcrafter survivalist then a fixed blade is a must .Jaaripukko's ,Enzos ,fallkniven ,Beckers etc.
All can be used for batoning fire starting with ferrum rods and shelter building.

Thats just my take on it Billy others may have modern switchblades up to the task,but with moving parts and delicate mechanisms come problems .

Switchblades are just so good to handle and fire and drool over though....its worth packing just to give yourself a smile in the wild while you are cooking a kill .

Regards

gravknife
john

Post by john »

The Italian stiletto switchblade is not designed for doing any kind of serious manual labor. Nevertheless, there are a few push button style Italian knives that were designed for the outdoor enthusiast. Look around for the hunter style Italian, German, Mikov and other automatic knives.

However, I do agree with Ian. There are many folders and fixed blades that would be excellent for your outdoor activities.

There are many many websites that offer these type of knives here’s one: 3knives.com
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Fixed blade over any type auto or folder for outdoor work. Less chance of breaking.
Last edited by sammy the blade on Tue May 15, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 candidate for president
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

my woods carry's are. the becker,bk7 or9 for heavy work like batoning an chopping. a enzo trapper in d2 with scandi grind (mora #1 as a back up in my bag, and sak farmer.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Billy02

Post by Billy02 »

gravknife wrote:Billy02
I would take a folding knife or lock knife over most if not all switchblades for outdoor situations .

A good Buck knife or EKA folder is handy in a backpack and has less breakable parts than the intricate switchblade and also can take cutting pressure on the backspring without wearing the Sear or mechanics all switchblades have.

If there was a switchblade i carried in my pack it would be a du bois or a german clipoint leverlock or an Al mar Sere or other heavy duty working one over any italian stilletto bayonet blade due to the obvious cutting/skinning whittling advantages of better steels a d blade types.

If you are a serious bushcrafter survivalist then a fixed blade is a must .Jaaripukko's ,Enzos ,fallkniven ,Beckers etc.
All can be used for batoning fire starting with ferrum rods and shelter building.

Thats just my take on it Billy others may have modern switchblades up to the task,but with moving parts and delicate mechanisms come problems .

Switchblades are just so good to handle and fire and drool over though....its worth packing just to give yourself a smile in the wild while you are cooking a kill .

Regards

gravknife
i totally agree with this part "but with moving parts and delicate mechanisms come problems "
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

You can get by with a Buck 110 Auto for outdoor adventures if you carefully clean it with a hydrocarbon solvent and oil it after using it to clean game. My Ganzo 719 is good for cleaning fish and small game. (Hint: They work well in the field).
Fishtail Picklock
Billy02

Post by Billy02 »

I was wondering about this, it is a benchmade folding knife https://swordsswords.com/benchmade-mini ... rated.html
what do you think of this?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

All the Benchmade knives are pretty decent imo.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Severtechs have a reputation as being heavily built for an auto....if you can find one.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Have 2 old Severtechs, both tanto. They are beasts but not bushcraft knives. I prefer using an ESEE Laser strike. Just can't see a reason to beat a Severtech just to prove a point; they sell too dear for that.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Jayronife

Post by Jayronife »

Hi guys) Yesterday I received my knife FH51 and I want to share first impressions. The knife came well sealed, the box is intact. The knife itself looks very cool and sits comfortably in your hand. According to the characteristics: it is a folding knife, flipper, steel blade D2, handle material G10. I also want to say that the knife opens very easily (most likely the built-in bearing) and also closes almost without effort. I think I will use it in nature and not only. I recommend the seller: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=merchant-ite ... r_nr_p_4_2
Jayronife

Post by Jayronife »

Finally got his long awaited parcel. Very cool folding knife FH61 from Ganzo with blade from steel D2 and lock flipper. Knife handle is made of material G10 and has a cool, intense green color. The knife is easily thrown with a fin; the blade in the closed position is centered very well. Well, in general, I'm very pleased to buy, and for a little money I got a stylish and high-quality, folding knife that I hope will serve me for a long time. All my purchases made from https://www.amazon.com/s?i=merchant-ite ... f=glow_cls
fxsource

Post by fxsource »

you are probably better with a fixed blade knife made for outdoor adventures.
Jayronife

Post by Jayronife »

ImagePicked this little guy up yesterday, and I've gotta say you can't beat what you get for the money. D2 steel with steel reinforced carbon fiber liners and bearings all for under $28.
https://www.amazon.com/s?i=merchant-ite ... f=glow_cls
Attachments
photo_2019-07-23_09-48-19.jpg
photo_2019-07-23_09-48-19.jpg (109.49 KiB) Viewed 7520 times