Truckstop Switchblade Collection Display

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BruceS

Truckstop Switchblade Collection Display

Post by BruceS »

When I was younger and we were moving to Texas(1979 of so), somewhere on the trip from New York to Texas we stopped at a Truck Stop that had a large display of various switchblades. The knives were in glass cases on the wall. Does anyone here remember this collection and where is it today? I was too young to drive and I have no idea where it was. Never went back or anything. We were just driving thru. It was an impressive collection. There were even some very large display Italian folders.

Bruce
Panzerfaust

Re: Truckstop Switchblade Collection Display

Post by Panzerfaust »

Somebody made a post a few years back of photos of a truck stop in Virginia that had switchblades as well as firearms on display. I don't think it's there anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPrhTl3QG7E
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Hi Bruce. Looks like my friend posted the one in Virginia.

I use to to competitive target shooting as a teenage and in college. Several times we drove from Omaha Nebraska to Arkansas for a National Championship. We stopped once st a truck stop in the North West corner of Arkansas and there were five big Display cases full of switchblades of all shapes and sizes. I have tried to track down what that place was but I haven’t had any luck.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Panzerfaust wrote:Somebody made a post a few years back of photos of a truck stop in Virginia that had switchblades as well as firearms on display. I don't think it's there anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPrhTl3QG7E

My folks live a few miles away, this has gone now, too bad it was really neat.
Belmont800
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

Thanks for the replies. The place in Va. isn't it. That display is mostly guns. The Truck Stop we went to was just switchblades and almost all Italian style. I remember a very large Italian, maybe 18" closed. It had black painted wood handles. The earth probably didn't make horn that large.
My Dad was Truck Driver(18 wlr) for about 15 years and probably went to the place other times. I'll see if he remembers. His memory is not so good lately.
I had my first heart surgery in 1978 and rode across the country with my parents on one of his deliveries. I couldn't do anything at home recovering so we made a vacation out of the trip. We stopped somewhere along the way and saw the movie Animal House. That was 1978. Truckers are a different breed for sure.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

BruceS wrote:Thanks for the replies. The place in Va. isn't it. That display is mostly guns. The Truck Stop we went to was just switchblades and almost all Italian style. I remember a very large Italian, maybe 18" closed. It had black painted wood handles. The earth probably didn't make horn that large.
My Dad was Truck Driver(18 wlr) for about 15 years and probably went to the place other times. I'll see if he remembers. His memory is not so good lately.
I had my first heart surgery in 1978 and rode across the country with my parents on one of his deliveries. I couldn't do anything at home recovering so we made a vacation out of the trip. We stopped somewhere along the way and saw the movie Animal House. That was 1978. Truckers are a different breed for sure.
Did you guys travel through Arkansas?
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

Yes, Orangeboy, I believe we went thru Arkansas.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

BruceS wrote:Yes, Orangeboy, I believe we went thru Arkansas.
Wow! See my post above. I’ll bet we are talking about the same place!! That place blew my mind when I was about 16. I would love to discover that place again.

Please find out what you can.
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

Do you remember the Real Large Italian with Painted Wood Scales. I had never seen or imagined they made then in that size.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Yes I do. I remember walking in and seeing a very large one in the display case handing on the wall with knives in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Like 4 or 5 wall mounted cases full of them and as you walked down the hall you saw the other cases.

Being a teenager and really starting to get fascinated with Italian stilettos and having a couple and a couple manuals I had a general idea about switchblades but these cases blew me away.