LATAMA Square Button Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: LATAMA Square Button Switchblade

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

I will back Bill to the wall on his offer to sell it,however if you do not need the coin right now hold on to that very rare auto,it will only go UP in value.
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

There was a Latama that sold on Gunbroker a few weeks ago(Not like this one). It was "Scabby" at best and the bidding was almost $500 when I glanced at it. I couldn't believe the bid attention it was getting. They probably get international bidders there. I don't know of any ITAR or State. Dept. restriction on exporting a knife in this class, short of the laws of the receivers home country. It is an antique after all.

Bruce
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Cool knife. 8) Probably worth $2k or so?
List it on Sharperseals or Gunbroker.
Cheers!
Belmont800
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

What's the status of this knife?
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Don't know.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

No more replies from the seller. Maybe they should check their PMs
Mantiques

Post by Mantiques »

Thanks for all your help. The knife will be up on sharperdeals in about an hour.
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

I love it. A $3500 start! Now that's an auction!!
lance

Post by lance »

orangeboy wrote:It was also discovered that the Square buttons are not prototypes and nearly 1000 of them were made. Nearly 30 of them are now known. And every year it seems at least 1 or two new ones turn up.
It's sad to see when collectors who aren't in the know and never really buy vintage knives, never spend any money on vintage knives and with no intention of buying a knife are so quick to tell a non-collector an unrealistic sky high price. Most of the sellers who come are are one hit wonders and they are interested in nothing but a cash grab and all you are doing is making fellow friends and collectors pay out the ass for a knife that some non-collector found for $5.
Thats a crazy steep reserve.all to say ya own a square button..some folks have more dollars than sense..god love em.
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

Orangeboy, you were spot on the money. The experts here just ginned the guy up to different hat size. Gave away years of experience and knowledge on the subject to be paid back with a $3500 start. I've only been here for a short while. First it was the holy grail froslone the guy found in a old house, now this square button. You appraisers should feel effectively used.
redeye

Post by redeye »

Dang 3500 bux is a huge starting bid. I see that there has been no one jumping on it to bid yet though. Too bad he didnt find it ten years ago huh?
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

BruceS wrote:Orangeboy, you were spot on the money. The experts here just ginned the guy up to different hat size. Gave away years of experience and knowledge on the subject to be paid back with a $3500 start. I've only been here for a short while. First it was the holy grail froslone the guy found in a old house, now this square button. You appraisers should feel effectively used.
Thank you- you get it. Next time I'm just going to advise these people to sell their knives privately via PMs.

I saw that Frosolone seller making posts on about 5 different knife websites trying to get everyone to see the auction - just to get himself more money. It was kind of embarrassing and leaves a bad taste.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

When did it become wrong to try to get the most money you can for something? It will either sell or it won't.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

whippersnapper wrote:When did it become wrong to try to get the most money you can for something? It will either sell or it won't.
...And, it looks like it sure will! Bid placed with 8 days to go, but the reserve is not met. Good thing I'm too new at collecting. I still like the nice, new shiny ones and too dumb to know the big dollar ones. Thank God!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
omega

Post by omega »

JulesVane wrote:
whippersnapper wrote:When did it become wrong to try to get the most money you can for something? It will either sell or it won't.
...And, it looks like it sure will! Bid placed with 8 days to go, but the reserve is not met.
Holy Shit! $3,500 bid and reserve is still not met????

For $3,500, Jesus had better have used that knife at the last supper!

Anybody know who "bigbob219" is?