Bonsa trapdoor

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Bonsa trapdoor

Post by gravknife »

Just got this bonsa trapdoor through from France.
Im really happy with this knife as i always wanted an italian trapdoor or trapdoor of any kind,its such a cool mechanism.
I am not sure of the age of it as i can only find a few examples of differing scales...bakelite ,brass .
Its in near mint condition and fires beautifully and does all it should in the works department and its near new in condition.
I thought it was a gravity knife at first but i can hear the spring when its fired ,it pushes or helps the blade forward.
Its marked in a circle with Bonsa rostfrei solingen and then on the tang D.B.G.M and ROSTFREI on the other side.
I've seen the markings differ on another blade it had D.B.G.M under the circle etch.Is this a sign of an older type and were these remade at any time?
If anybody has any trapdoor bonsa knives,or other makes can they post them here to see the different types.

Hope your all well

Ian
Attachments
20170304_152449.jpg
20170304_152449.jpg (738.82 KiB) Viewed 12050 times
20170304_152423.jpg
20170304_152423.jpg (743.67 KiB) Viewed 12050 times
20170304_152302.jpg
20170304_152302.jpg (710.33 KiB) Viewed 12050 times
ILikeStilettos

Re: Bonsa trapdoor

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Congratulations, Ian! That's a real beauty and I am so happy it worked out for you. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have several different Bonsa OTFs. There was a smaller model with a more rounded handle. The smaller model was kept in production by Robert Klaas after acquisition of Bonsa. The Klaas model was painted, rather than chrome plated. I'll try to dig out some pictures.
Attachments
cabinet12.jpg
cabinet12.jpg (65 KiB) Viewed 12032 times
bonsagravity.jpg
bonsagravity.jpg (58.76 KiB) Viewed 12032 times
klaasotf.jpg
klaasotf.jpg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 12032 times
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Hello Ian,
Way cool! I'd like to add one of those to my trap door collection. How many cm is your knife? Here are photos of my two trap door Italian stilettos; they're not Bonsa trap doors, but they're trap door knives.

More photos and info can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18088&hilit=Trap+door+stiletto

More photos and info can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22439&hilit=Trap+door+stiletto

Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Bill
I remember seeing that draw from a post of yours whilst browsing here.
Thanks for sharing these pictures Bill ,i thought id seen a balelite or black plastic scaled model,but it must have been painted . I love the rounded smaller kissing cranes version and that draw is amazing.I can see a smaller square otf ,along with a black one in the top right hand corner of the draw,what are these 2 Bill?
The red plastic handle i have never seen before ,thats a real beauty .
Thanks for sharing them Bill .
John
I love the italian trapdoor knives.One hasn't come into my circle yet unfortunately and they are a lot of money.
Those are lovely examples and the horn is excellent on both.One would be nice but two even better.
The bonsa is 9" with a 4" blade John ,ill get some better pictures of it.
Thanks for sharing these and commenting on my knife.

Ian
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I believe the large Bonsas were available in black, blue, red, and white plastic-as well as chrome plated metal. I have a white one that isn't pictured.
The black one is an Anton Wingen "Othello," and the square one is an "Ern."
The bottom right is a very rare Bonsa OTF.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

I really love these knives Bill.
Its a decent build quality and very smooth action .
Love to see the white scaled one you have but there is no rush ,whenever you get a chance.

I 'd like an example of the smaller klaas like yours ,and one of those metal ern knives and the rare bonsa you pointed out.I have never seen that type anywhere.
Ill keep my eyes peeled for any of those pictured ,they look great together.,cost a fortune to build that set now i'll wager.
This trapdoor was very reasonable in price ,i never thought id be able to afford one to be honest.

Thanks again Bill for showing and naming these types.
Can you age these ?
I saw 50s -60s somewhere quoted ,It just looks in pretty good condition for a plated knife of that age .

Hope your well

Ian
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Somewhere, I have a 1954 ad for the Bonsa trapdoor.
The Othello is from about 1965. I expect the Ern is about the same time frame-1965ish.
Correction: the white Bonsa IS pictured. I have a red one that isn't!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks for dating this Bill.
I thought the one that looks white in your draw had got a glare from a flash or something.I like that drawer of yours a lot Bill,great otfs.
A couple more shots to show the trapdoor.

Ian
Attachments
20170305_094858.jpg
20170305_094858.jpg (892.67 KiB) Viewed 11970 times
20170305_094813.jpg
20170305_094813.jpg (906.46 KiB) Viewed 11970 times
20170305_095131.jpg
20170305_095131.jpg (921.4 KiB) Viewed 11970 times
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Great knife Ian. What is the silver box?
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

eddymunster
The silver box is a rolls razor .It has a self sharpening blade which is sharpened using a mechanism within the tin itself.
I have a few cutthroat razors and this came with one I purchased with a silver frog opening a cutthroat inlaid in its handle.
I'll take a picture eddy if you would like to see the rolls razor but i love the design of the tin aswell.
Thanks for looking and commenting on my knives eddy.

All the best
Ian
Perryknifeworks

Post by Perryknifeworks »

Really great knife Ian.
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Yes. I would very much like to see pictures when you have an opportunity. Thank you.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

john wrote:Hello Ian,
Way cool! I'd like to add one of those to my trap door collection. How many cm is your knife? Here are photos of my two trap door Italian stilettos; they're not Bonsa trap doors, but they're trap door knives.

Giancarlo,

Those are truly spectacular examples of a rare knife that no vintage collection is complete without. Those two back scales are knockouts. The only prettier one I have ever seen is the one that Danny Bailey had rescaled in light horn. The design of those knives is cool, but I don't like the way you have to close them by pressing the door against that vulnerable point. I think maybe I can design around that, and, of course, make it longer, like a 13". The only hangup is that flat coil spring (a sort of z-shape like in a semi-automatic pistol magazine). Anyone have a source or any ideas on making or purchasing some of those? I have copied the first picture into my projects folder and will give it a shot one of these days (sooner, if someone helps on the spring!).

In any case, great knives, my friend. Really great. Also Ian, you have a superb OTF collection and I too would like to see the razor box in action. Thanks so much for sharing guys, that's why I love to come to this forum.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Heres some shots of the rolls razor as promised eddy
I love the ingenuity and quality of old things and collect many things if they are quirky .
The tin has two removable lids
A handle fixed in the tin itself.
A small razor handle.

One lid is lined in leather ,one is lined with a stone .
The razor head screws onto the handle which is fixed in the tin.
When you push the handle back and forth it sharpens the razor or strops it depending on which lid you use.
When finished unscrew the head and screw it to the handle ....your ready to go for a shave.

Hope this explains the mechanism and the pics are okay...again thanks for showing an interest in this.

Ian
Attachments
20170306_210016.jpg
20170306_210016.jpg (616.19 KiB) Viewed 11868 times
20170306_205551.jpg
20170306_205551.jpg (657.49 KiB) Viewed 11868 times
20170306_205933.jpg
20170306_205933.jpg (670.6 KiB) Viewed 11868 times