Can someone help me estimate the value of a HUGE switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Praetorian27

Can someone help me estimate the value of a HUGE switchblade

Post by Praetorian27 »

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and have a very large collection of switchblades that I am trying to sell. They belonged to my friend Andy who passed away in August. His wife has asked me to sell his knives for her. One of them is massive. It works just like a regular sized one...you have to hold on tight when it opens! Problem is, I can't find any information about it on the internet. Does anyone have any idea what the value of this thing is? It's so big, that I can't hold it in one hand, and still hold the camera far enough away to fit it all in the picture! Here is a youtube video of the knife... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBCAfGJ ... JvLmJPiGMA

Thanks!

ImageIMG_0809 by Praetorian27, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0811 by Praetorian27, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0812 by Praetorian27, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0813 by Praetorian27, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0814 by Praetorian27, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0815 by Praetorian27, on Flickr
Last edited by Praetorian27 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlejimishiv

Re: Can someone help me estimate the value of a HUGE switchb

Post by littlejimishiv »

Good Lord Man! Watch out for low flying planes with that giant! Looks like you could throw out your back as well when opening that monster! I think Bill Deshivs or bombotz111 will be able to get you a smart price on that beauty! I am shure that they are the right guys to estimate the value & desirablity of this stiletto. Hope that helps Man & sorry about your friend. Please look at personal message I sent you.
Your Friend
Jamie "littlejimishiv"
Guilford, Ct.-USA
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

That knife was made by Giovanni Del Tin 8 -10 years ago. It has the Green Frostwood handles. Other woods were also used such as seen below. As to current value, I couldn't say as I have pulled back from active collecting. Others who attend the shows, etc. would have a better idea.
Attachments
39InchSwitch.jpg
39InchSwitch.jpg (214.02 KiB) Viewed 9603 times
Praetorian27

Post by Praetorian27 »

natcherly wrote:That knife was made by Giovanni Del Tin 8 -10 years ago. It has the Green Frostwood handles. Other woods were also used such as seen below. As to current value, I couldn't say as I have pulled back from active collecting. Others who attend the shows, etc. would have a better idea.
Wow, thanks for the info! If you were to make a ballpark guess as to the value what would you say? I have absolutely NO idea!
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

you may want to check out the sharperdeal auction site to sell your friends knives.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Praetorian27

Post by Praetorian27 »

TRYKER wrote:you may want to check out the sharperdeal auction site to sell your friends knives.
I registered there a few days ago...still waiting for the confirmation.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

Praetorian27 wrote:
TRYKER wrote:you may want to check out the sharperdeal auction site to sell your friends knives.
I registered there a few days ago...still waiting for the confirmation.
it may take awhile, the owner of the site had a stroke a couple weeks ago and is still in the hospital
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

It might help to just cruise the auctions there and look in the closed auctions section to see what things are actually selling for. Come to think of it, I'm not sure you can do that if you aren't registered. I would be afraid to estimate because I haven't been keeping up with those so the margin of error around any estimate would be large. Might your friend Andy who passed away be the Andy who owned the door company?

Jim
Praetorian27

Post by Praetorian27 »

jim d, wrote:It might help to just cruise the auctions there and look in the closed auctions section to see what things are actually selling for. Come to think of it, I'm not sure you can do that if you aren't registered. I would be afraid to estimate because I haven't been keeping up with those so the margin of error around any estimate would be large. Might your friend Andy who passed away be the Andy who owned the door company?

Jim
No...he didn't own a company.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Interesting photos,fifth one down looks like carpet roll on the floor could be the sheath 8)

The knife has what looks like an "AB" tang stamp. Mr. Natcherly has without a doubt identified your knife but as to value must go with Señor Tryker's advice.
Perhaps someone can come along and give an approximate value.

You have a highly collectible piece,I would suggest having patience and getting top dollar.
My guess is it will bring well over a 1000 bucks,possibly double that.
Praetorian27

Post by Praetorian27 »

Viking45 wrote:Interesting photos,fifth one down looks like carpet roll on the floor could be the sheath 8)

The knife has what looks like an "AB" tang stamp. Mr. Natcherly has without a doubt identified your knife but as That'sThat'sto value must go with Señor Tryker's advice.
Perhaps someone can come along and give an approximate value.

You have a highly collectible piece,I would suggest having patience and getting top dollar.
My guess is it will bring well over a 1000 bucks,possibly double that.
I think Andy's wife would be thrilled to get $1k for it! Wanna hear the craziest part? She had the whole.collection in a duffle bag and was going to throw them in a dumpster! She was scared of them because they were switchblades! That's why I offered to sell them for her!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Worth more than a $1,000 I think...can you post pictures of the collection?
Praetorian27

Post by Praetorian27 »

Tom19176 wrote:Worth more than a $1,000 I think...can you post pictures of the collection?
Sure...I'll start a new thread with the pics.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Yeah if he has this giant rare knife the rest of his collection may be worth "thousands" of dollars.
Dumpster? That would be a hobo's dream come true....and I'm talking about all the hobo's here at Talk Blade :lol:
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

Howdy praetorian,
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, man. RIP Andy.

As for the knife. if you could post a group shot of everything, that would also be a valuable post. the giant piece you've got was made by Armando Beltrame. And previous posts signify that. I'd ball park it between $600 and $1200. You can always email Angelo Campolin or Armando Beltrame to get a more accurate estimate and maybe even the original sell price. Italian switchblade can float back and forth in value.
Bill DeShivs may have an idea. Surprised I ain't seen him chime in here.
Us here on talkblade and also those of us at sharperdeal.biz/forums know that you're seeking info in the correct places. You could probably sell the whole duffle bag piece at a time through bladebid.com or through sharperdeals.net
Sharperdeals.net is a better site and some of the mods here and at sharperdeal.biz/forums are also mods on that auction site. Other folk are manning the stations since the leader (Bob) is on medical leave.
But sharperdeals.net is an honest place. and even though folks have been scammed from some bastards, I've yet to hear of a story where a remedy was not fetched.
good luck, and sorry for your loss.
all the best,
Free
"Everyone is your neighbor."