EIG 33 cm picklock!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

EIG 33 cm picklock!

Post by Panzerfaust »

This is one of those knives I wish could talk because it was obviously an EDC knife for someone back in the day.
Attachments
Knives 003-001.jpg
Knives 003-001.jpg (184.58 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
Knives 002-001.jpg
Knives 002-001.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
Knives 001-001.jpg
Knives 001-001.jpg (337.05 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
JimBrown257

Re: EIG 33 cm picklock!

Post by JimBrown257 »

If it could talk, I think it would ask to be restored. It doesn't look like there has been to much sharpening so it could really be made to look incredible. It's just a shame about that crack in the scale. It would be really great if you could keep it. In fact, it might be worth thinking about a patch job instead of an entirely new set of scales.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

great score man :D . me personally would not touch it leave as is , think about this it took 50-60 years to look like this , i know alot of collectors like clean new looking knives but me i like the old weathered patina look on old picklocks lol . if you do decide to restore Bill can fix them handles no problem.
john

Post by john »

Hi Matt,
Great knife for your collection. The stamp is in very good condition. I hate weak stamps. The debate goes on to restore or not to restore. I'd restore; polish the horn, repair but not replace the horn, and shine up all the metal. Stop mother nature from doing more damage, but that's me.
Awesome knife no matter what you decided to do.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Krab-E

Post by Krab-E »

G'day Mr Panz', 2- 8) Great score indeed. I dig these ol' troopers with the greeny/yellow horn. One day I'll get me one . .
But I'd leave it alone, preservative matainence not withstanding. Antique peoples all say never remove the Patna from coins & suchlike.
Last edited by Krab-E on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather have a Bottle-in-Front-of-me, than a Frontal-Lobotomy!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I have to agree with Bernie. All those scratches,patina and wear and tear does tell a story in a sense.
Restoring it takes all that away. I am for restoring knives that have chunks of scale missing,broken springs and things of that nature but when a nice old vintage is still ready to rock & roll why polish it all up and take away it's character?

Everyone has their own thing so I say do what your heart (and wallet) wants to do. 8)
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Viking45 wrote:I have to agree with Bernie. All those scratches,patina and wear and tear does tell a story in a sense.
Restoring it takes all that away. I am for restoring knives that have chunks of scale missing,broken springs and things of that nature but when a nice old vintage is still ready to rock & roll why polish it all up and take away it's character?

Everyone has their own thing so I say do what your heart (and wallet) wants to do. 8)
Viking, that is exactly how I feel, and if I end up keeping this knife, the most I would do is have the blade peek fixed and replacing a pin that has pulled loose on the back scale.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

A little off subject here but when I was a kid an old man that collected knives told me when you see real deep,clear tang stamps it usually means the knife is older and the stamp itself was new(er).
After many markings the stamp begins to wear thus not making as clear stamps.
This may not always be the case but certainly makes sense.
In the old days when a little more effort went into these knives the carbon blades were most likely stamped before the steel was hardened.

I have never owned a vintage stiletto but from many years of seeing photos you can see some Latama stamps deeper on one side or just not as deep as others.
Of course the same can be said for Edwin Jay,Coricama and others.

Several of my AGA Campolins have beautiful deep tang stamps and others are etched.
I suppose the chromium content would wear a stamp out fairly quick.

By the way Panz I am in awe of your vintage collection.
easy_rider

Post by easy_rider »

sweet knife!