Defect assessment

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
lookalot1234

Defect assessment

Post by lookalot1234 »

IMG_2647.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG (118.83 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
I bought this knife off of a respected dealer and found several defects. When I contacted the dealer about the defects he said it was not damaged but normal for a natural material to have a small crack. The dealer accepted the return but with a small restocking fee. I am new to this hobby and am not sure if what he is telling me is true. as I said he is a well respected dealer so am I being to picky or what
Attachments
IMG_2643.JPG
IMG_2643.JPG (132.77 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
The spine seams to be bent to the right ??
The spine seams to be bent to the right ??
IMG_2645.JPG (126.74 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
Tom19176

Re: Defect assessment

Post by Tom19176 »

for these type of knives you have to expect some minor defects...I would consider these minor and acceptable.
andrea

Post by andrea »

Hello Lookalot, :D
depends on how much you've paid.
it is true that sometimes the natural material settles and causes small cracks and damage.
are these knives.
are defined second choice.
if you have paid the full price is not good.
if you received such a small price this is good.
greetings
Andrea
Wdalew5

Post by Wdalew5 »

Buy a Pat Havlin ( if you can find one ) Flawless in everyway ...
lookalot1234

Post by lookalot1234 »

Hi Andrea, I paid regular price. I kind of thought the 6mm crack was to much for the price. I am glad that the seller has good customer service.

Thanks
Lookalot1234
andrea

Post by andrea »

lookalot1234 wrote:Hi Andrea, I paid regular price. I kind of thought the 6mm crack was to much for the price. I am glad that the seller has good customer service.

Thanks
Lookalot1234
your welcome lookalot,
greetings
Andrea
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Interesting response...In the 60s to 90s this type of knife was nearly impossible to find and the ones that some how made it into the US ( they are banned remember) where never looked at with such a exacting eye. Perhaps since I am in my 50s and raised with that mind set, I don't see these items as all too terrible. The Italians have stepped up their game now that the collectors market kicked in since the late 90s internet sales opened, but you will still see a lot of examples of this sort of quality being made today, and remember the US dealer can't always send the knife back to Italy so easily as other styles knives can be sent. Either way I am glad it worked out for you.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Good point Tom. We have to remember these are hand made knives and to me some of the minor flaws such as light tool marks and slight imperfections are appealing.
It is a reminder these are hand crafted.
90% of my Italian and German knives were purchased from known sellers and I got to see photos of both sides and angles and made my decision based on that and the description.
Several of my knives have very slight liner gaps and brass pins with rough edges but these are things I can live with.
I don't like banana blades or blade peek and fortunately none of mine have this. However if a blade sits a little to one side I don't loose any sleep.

The locks work on every single knife I own and they all open every time.
I have two personal rules- I never buy a stag handled knife "sight unseen" and I only buy from trusted or well known sellers.

The close up views of the knife above most likely emphasize the flaws but it is hard to say whether or not I could live with it.
Another thing I tell myself is that an Italian stiletto is what it is- It is not a "user",my life does not depend on it and all it really has is a "wow" factor because they are cool knives.
In my 50 years I have never once had someone say "oh look this knife has a liner gap or the blade lays a little to the left" all they say is "wow,that's one cool knife."

One last note- Most of my collection was bought several years ago and in the last few years the prices have gone way up so when a guy spends 150-250 on a stiletto he doesn't want or expect these kind of flaws.
lookalot1234

Post by lookalot1234 »

I would like to say thanks to every one for there incite. I am new to the hobby and appreciate everyones help. I am learning a lot from the site and posts. I look forward to learning more. It is a very addictive hobble and I am definitely hooked. :D

Thanks again
lookalot
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

lookalot1234 wrote:I would like to say thanks to every one for there incite. I am new to the hobby and appreciate everyones help. I am learning a lot from the site and posts. I look forward to learning more. It is a very addictive hobble and I am definitely hooked. :D

Thanks again
lookalot
It's great to see someone new at collecting and we are happy to have you with us.
Nemo Knives

Post by Nemo Knives »

I agree with everyone,but want to add that if you want close to perfect,you may want to look into more custom stuff. Spend a little more,it is worth it.Custom guys,like myself,tend to spend way more time with a knife and are much more picky. They usually love what they do,so you always get a much better knife.
Production knifemakers that work in a factory, and slam together knives all day for just a paycheck,tend to spend less time with a knife and usually do not care if there are flaws........Nemo