Question about C.O.D. payments

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Question about C.O.D. payments

Post by tr4252 »

I've got a customer who insists on C.O.D. payment for his knife. I'll be using the brown truck guys. Does anyone here have experience with this type of payment? I've looked at the website, and they say they are not responsible for bad checks, insufficient funds, and forgery. I'm worried about getting burned on the transaction. Any advice?

Thanks,
Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
gramps

Re: Question about C.O.D. payments

Post by gramps »

Simple,..... DON"T DO IT!
If I only knew!
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

gramps wrote:Simple,..... DON"T DO IT!
I agree with Gramps. If the guy doesn't trust you to pay you up front why should you trust him/her to pay you upon delivery? Just my opinion.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have paid UPS for a few items COD and they seemed to be pretty concerned your gave them a vaild payment.
gramps

Post by gramps »

tr4252 wrote: I've looked at the website, and they say they are not responsible for bad checks, insufficient funds, and forgery. I'm worried about getting burned on the transaction.
Come-on Tom, read your own post and pay attention.... :roll:
If I only knew!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

:?: :?:
As I read it, YOU are buying, so you should know if the check is good :wink:
You CAN inspect the item [and pay for return shipping] if, it is substandard :idea:
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

I'm sorry, I think I worded it wrong. I'm selling the knife. Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Tom
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

tr4252 wrote:I'm sorry, I think I worded it wrong. I'm selling the knife. Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Tom
If I were in your place, I would not do it unless you have enough margin in your knife sales to cover returns which are more likely to happen with CODs. The customer is not really making the mental buying committment.
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
gramps

Post by gramps »

That's 3 of us now, trying to help you with some good advice... I bet if Vagrant read it the same way we understood it, he would say the same thing, am I right Vagrant? Then that would make 4 of us! You make some real nice knives and worth every penny. I only wish I had the money, I would have got one for myself. We don't want to see you get burned.
javacupper wrote:The customer is not really making the mental buying committment.
jmack1944 wrote:If the guy doesn't trust you to pay you up front why should you trust him/her to pay you upon delivery?
gramps wrote:Simple,..... DON"T DO IT!
If I only knew!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

If it were one of the guys around here I wouldn't be concerned but anyone else...add me to the "don't do-it" list.

It doesn't hurt a darn thing to ask. My problem is why is the guy so adamant about a COD?
Red flag.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I have never used it for selling or buying...

Doesn't COD mean cash on delivery? Can you stipulate to the Brown truckies that payment must only be "cash"? ....Unless the buyer is passing counterfeit bills, that should take care of your payment worries.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Have done some COD business and never had an issue. When the driver deliveries a shipment, he will not leave the package without payment, pretty secure. No payment package is returned to seller.
We all send payments for products we haven't yet received, so COD is the opposite, you sent the products then you get your money. It's all a game of trust between buyer and seller.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

My sincerest thanks for the advice. I will pass on the C.O.D. option and ask for other means.

Tom
tedmen

Post by tedmen »

Tom, I really like your stilletos. Hope to order one eventually when funds allow. (I won't ask to pay bu COD :) )
Ted.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

tedmen wrote:Tom, I really like your stilletos. Hope to order one eventually when funds allow. (I won't ask to pay bu COD :) )
Ted.

Ha haa,yeah me too Tom. I won't ask you to do a "COD" but ask that you take an "IOU" :lol: