Transitional models

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tedmen

Transitional models

Post by tedmen »

Hello gents, this is my first post so greetings to all. Please forgive me if I ask what may sound like silly questions, I'm an absolute knife/stilleto novice.

I'm a bit confused when it comes to certain terms and the difference between stilleto models. I have tried to find illustrations of the mechanics of a "transitional" stilletos inorder to understand what the difference is between it and a picklock. I'm finding the different models a bit confusing actually, I am having trouble seeing what the difference is between picklocks, transitionals and classic stilletos. What makes a picklok a picklock?
What makes a transitional a ....etc.?

Any help will be appreciated.

I've recently retired from the Navy and always thought knife making would be an interesting hobby so am just now trying to learn a bit about it.

Thanks, Ted,
jim d,

Re: Transitional models

Post by jim d, »

Welcome to the forum.

You mentioned that you are familiar with picklocks. Presumably you are also familiar with modern swivel bolsters. After the 1958 ban in the USA, picklock production in Maniago pretty much stopped. The term transitional is used to describe the stilettos made in Maniago between the end of picklock production and the onset of modern swivel bolster production.

You may be wondering what the characteristics of the transitionals are. The rules aren't hard and fast as there was an inventory of parts that was being used up during the transitional period. So, here are a few things to consider regarding transitionals:

Many had swedge blades
Many had the thick backsprings
Many had very nice horn
Some were made with stag scales, maybe other materials as well
Some were button open - button close, some were swivel bolster

I'm sure I missed a few things so maybe someone else can fill in the gaps. Hope this helps.

Jim
tedmen

Post by tedmen »

Hi Jim, thank you for that info. In fact I am not familiar with a Picklock (or any aauto for that matter). I was assuming that the difference between the different classic Italian stilletos was in their internal mechanisms like the button open/button close and swivelling bolster you mention. I read a post by a fellow who claimed he didn't like the action of a picklok compared to a transitional which is what piqued my interest in the mechanical differences.

If anyone can point me to mechanical drawings of a stilleto I would greatly appreciate it. I intend to make one to keep myself busy now that I'm retired.

Cheers, Ted.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Ted,

I found this video doing a search. I have no idea who the author is but it provides a visual and verbal explanation of a picklock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6JMQ-DTVeI

Jim
missaman

Post by missaman »

Here is an example of the swedge blade Jim was talking about
Missa

http://www.sharperdeals.net/auction_det ... n_id=50169
tedmen

Post by tedmen »

Thank you for the information leads guys. I appreciate it. The button open/button closed version is very interesting and sounds like
a sophisticated/smart design. I wonder why it was dropped along the way?
Ted