Movie Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sicboy13

Re: Ace Merrill's Switchblade... Rizzuto?

Post by sicboy13 »

Good job BTB!

If you haven't seen Johnny Dangerously (I'm now addressing everyone), please do yourself a favor! It is wicked funny...

I'm going to slink back into the shadows with my Rizzy's and lubraderm.... :)

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Not kidding here- I think someone in Hollywood went to Mexico back in the 60's and bought about 10 cases of Rizzies. They seem to be the most used switch in the movies.

Another movie with a switchblade is Force 10 From Navarone. Carl Weather's character used an Italian Stiletto.
I mentioned this before but Clint taped an Italian to his leg in the first Dirty Harry.

James Coburn used one in The Magnificent Seven.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

In "Dirty Harry" the knife used was a 13" "standard" (read: swivel bolster) Italian stiletto with Dark Horn scales. I believe they used it because it had a distinct "screen presence".

I can only imagine that it hurt like hell when he pulled the stiletto from his leg to stab Scorpio in the thigh. That Scotch tape yanks a lot of leg hair out by it's roots!
Fishtail Picklock
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Viking45 wrote:Not kidding here- I think someone in Hollywood went to Mexico back in the 60's and bought about 10 cases of Rizzies.
Los Angeles is very close to the border.
Leverlock switchblades
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

Viking45 wrote:Not kidding here- I think someone in Hollywood went to Mexico back in the 60's and bought about 10 cases of Rizzies.....
Wish I had. If I had only known those cheap knives were going to be put in movies that years later would have such a BIG following.....because of the KNIFE!

Oh well....
BTB0923

Re: Movie Switchblades

Post by BTB0923 »

Viking45 wrote:Not kidding here- I think someone in Hollywood went to Mexico back in the 60's and bought about 10 cases of Rizzies. They seem to be the most used switch in the movies.
I bet there were a bunch of "someones" that made that trip. I think Rizzutos were probably frequently used because they were the cheapest and most readily availaby switchblades at the time in that part of the country (plus they fit the part looks-wise). They definitely didn't all come from one source because you see all varieties of Rizzutos (all built at different time periods) in film. Here are some more pics of a Rizzy copy, and Italians, from previously mentioned films...
gunner wrote:I loved Christopher Lloyd's character "Switchblade Sam" in the early 90's film Dennis the Menace. He carried, and was named after the same 10 1/2" Korean...
Viking45 wrote:I mentioned this before but Clint taped an Italian to his leg in the first Dirty Harry.
Fishtail Picklock wrote:I can only imagine that it hurt like hell when he pulled the stiletto from his leg to stab Scorpio in the thigh. That Scotch tape yanks a lot of leg hair out by it's roots!
I probably wouldn't have noticed this without reading your post, but if you scroll back up you'll notice that in this film Clint Eastwood has less leghair than an Olympic swimmer. Probably wasn't a problem for him :lol:
Viking45 wrote:James Coburn used one in The Magnificent Seven.
Last edited by BTB0923 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Wow,Great stills!
I always laugh when I hear Scorpio scream when Clint pokes his knife in his leg :lol:
That must have went to the bone :shock:
Most likely soiled himself :lol:

I love Clint's one liners. I think it was the second Dirty Harry(Magnum Force) when Harry was shooting pool while Capt. McKay was chewing his arse and after a while Harry's only reply was-"May I make a statement? Your mouthwash ain't makin' it" :lol:
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Here's a few more...

In 1985's "The Goonies" Ma Fratelli had a cheap double action otf...

and there was a balisong in the Goonies too...

This one from Sin City looks like another one of the 10.5" Korean Rizzuto clones. It was used to kill the villain in one of the most pivotal scenes in the movie. I want to add one of these to my collection. I think this movie was shot in 2004, so I wonder where they got this one from...

In "Gunfight at the OK Corral" Doc Holliday has a pile of switches on a table that he throws at a door. They look like they are probably Italians to me. What do you guys think?

What are some more?
Last edited by BTB0923 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

IN regards to clints hairless leg, they might have shaved it so the tape wouldn't rip it out,or had riped it out after a few redo's, then again maybe he just don't have hairy legs???
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

How about the one John Candy sinks in the tire of that bigass chevy in Armed and Dangerous? Any ident on it? I may be able to get screens. Maybe.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Incidentally, the "Dirty Harry" Italian was a picklock. So was the auto in the Magnificent Seven.

Scott
Fishtail Picklock
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

heviarti wrote:How about the one John Candy sinks in the tire of that bigass chevy in Armed and Dangerous? Any ident on it? I may be able to get screens. Maybe.
I've never seen one like that before. Its an otf knife, and it looks to me like that button might be fake? Its really hard to tell in the vid whether or not he actually pushes it when the blade pops out...

Can anybody provide an id?
Last edited by BTB0923 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

We ID that one as a false button custom, when you really watch the clip you see he actually slides a hidden button forward, but they made it look like it is a push button.
http://www.sharperdeal.biz/forums/viewt ... =46&t=1425
Leverlock switchblades
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Jeff_75 wrote:We ID that one as a false button custom, when you really watch the clip you see he actually slides a hidden button forward, but they made it look like it is a push button.
http://www.sharperdeal.biz/forums/viewt ... =46&t=1425
Thanks for the link. Yeah, you can see in this shot it doesn't even have a bottom bolster, if it's even the same knife in this shot...

I second the comment you made in the other forum about how cool it would be if someone could design a functional double action otf that fires using a button instead of a slide. Seems like it would be near impossible to do though.
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Explain to me what you want, and get me a look at the guts of what they've got already, and I'll design one. Easy.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.