Bernie Levine

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

Vagrant wrote:I won a Pearlex Hammer on BA, very nice but lock-up is best accomplished with it held so the blade opens with the edge up. Any other position and it siffers "bounce-back". It doesn't matter I still love it. I wanted one as a kid but my mother made me wait until I was old enough
[even though I had regular jack knives] they were outlawed just before I was "old enough". The BIG question is should I keep it original or sharpen it? [I know the proper answer, the question is what will I really do]?
see this is exactly why certain knives apeal to certain people. mr vagrant you know what to do...er not do.... :wink:

i've had the inside track to several tasty vintage us knives before they go to auction, and so far i haven't bitten...i dunno... i just keep buying everything else :shock:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

They only way this type of purchase can be justified is on "sentimental reasons". Paying 10 times what they originally cost is not logical. [However despite the proper thing, I'll wager that the carbon steel blade would sharpen nicely and make it very good for special occassions].
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

you do have a point there, those old blades were much nicer steel..

i've got quite a few vintage fish knives (folders) and they are still super tight and sharp - real usable knives you can get on ebay under $10.....
i've got a couple imperial, colonial and three stag (ireland) ones, blade and scaler type. great little knives, and these remind me of fishing with my grandad, who i'm sure has a couple in his tackle box still...