Responsabilities- Manufacturer / distributor / dealer

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!

Who bares ULTIMATELY Responsibilty for poor quality in Italian knives?

Italian Knives don't need improvement.
No votes
Manufacturer in Maniago.
90%
Stateside Distributor.
3%
Dealer.
8%
End User.
No votes

Total votes: 40

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Responsabilities- Manufacturer / distributor / dealer

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Furcs
Yes-I would not have my name on junk. One of the specs was that the knives be made with care.
Some people here are of the opinion that it is egotistical to have my name on the knives. I guess that they feel the same way about McHenry/Williams or Pardue on Benchmades.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I have to respond to this. At the Atlanta show earlier this year I finally had the opportunity to meet Bill DeShivs in person. I can't imagine anyone who knows Bill thinking for one moment that he is egotistical, arrogant or anything even remotley similar. Quite the contrary! Yes, Bill has a vast amount of knowledge about automatic knives (among other things) and is a highly skilled cutler. The fact that he is willing to share that knowledge should be seen as as a positive trait and not a sign of arrogance.

Jim
~Chad

Post by ~Chad »

Well said Jim. Bill is a legend and a great mentor. He makes this hobby exciting :)
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

Bill DeShivs wrote:You know, I find it pretty amazing that when I try to give a little insight into this problem that I am attacked as being "panicked," "consider myself a deity," or as "somebody that put stiletto cross guards on a perfectly good slim line massaro and tagged it a "leverletto".
What the hell is this all about? I simply gave my input to a question that has been asked many times over. As far as "bashing Maniago"-you have every right to. It just won't do you any good.
Horizonod, you asked-and I gave you the best advice I could. Why would I be panicked? Let me explain something to you. If everyone on these forums quit buying Italian products, it would not make a dent in their production. That's why I gave you the advice that I posted. I tried to help, but didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, so I'm lambasted elsewhere? Now I understand your hostility toward me.
As far as the Leverletto, it was a little more than putting guards on a Massarro. Materials and quality control played a large part, too. The Leverletto is the best selling automatic (except the generic stilettos) coming from Italy. Much of the success came because the knives were reliable. If current production is less than reliable, I have no control over it. Marketing has a lot to do with successful sales, too. Don't you wish you had designed it? And if you can't tell the difference between the two knives, I'm very sorry.
Now, here is the real kicker- over the years I have had requests to repair less than 15 Leverlettos. That's about a 1/1000 failure ratio. And guess what? I can't even get springs to repair them!
I have attempted to be helpful and gracious on the forums. I don't consider myself above anyone. To see how some of you REALLY feel about me upsets me greatly.
PM sent. PEACE. :wink:
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

The fact that he is willing to share that knowledge should be seen as as a positive trait and not a sign of arrogance.
Absolutely. No reason to hide true talent. Mr. DeShivs may or may not have modified someone else's design, but if not for that brand of thinking, we'd all still be driving horses instead of cars! :P
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Jeff_75 wrote:Also, a little birdie told me about your latest custom you got. I can assure you that you have nothing to be jealous of when you own a unique MM crafted beauty like that one.
Well so far I have no customs...YET! I have talked with MM several times about a couple projects I dreamed up and they are still in the process.
If this goes through I want MM or myself to post pics of the finished product. They are going to be pretty sweet.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

My fault, he probably said it was sandbar's knife and I got it mixed up.
Leverlock switchblades
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello all!

This thread has some insightful posts and, somehow, goes right into the heart of a problem.

Besides the poll (which result was obvious from the start), I think the problem with Italian-made knives (and maybe Italian-made goods, in general) is not the lack of quality but the lack of consistency in quality. Ordering something and not knowing in what conditions it will arrive (and sometimes even wondering what) will arrive to you is without any doubt annoying.

I can't say much about cars or motorbikes, but regarding knives I'm pretty sure most things can be fixed with improved quality control before shipping, which could also lead to improved quality in production process. I know that some manufacturers here are working that way, and that might avoid consistency problems in the future.

At the top end, however, quality is probably not to be expected to be like Microtech, at least not at present time. Sik.

M.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Thanks Arthas for looking at this post as i requested.I know the guys are greatful that you jumped in.
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

Thank you for taking an interest Michele. It seems to me that EVERYBODY would benefit from a boost in quality and consistency from the makers in Maniago. I, for one, wouldn't mind paying a bit more for consistently high quality products. Some kind of warranty or stateside repair facility would really be nice too. :mrgreen:
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Good post Michele. Lots of people were hoping you would say something. I am glad the topic is getting attention where it is needed, in Maniago!
dave

Post by dave »

i believe that the new next generation walt's flat guard, that walt unveiled at the blade show, is proof that maniago is capable of producing a precision, high quality stiletto.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Dave,

Those new Walt's flatguards are magnificent, but I don't think the issue here is whether Maniago is capable of producing a high quality stiletto. We know that they can, As Jerr pointed out, the IHT's, modern style 13 were all outstanding. The issue is one of whether Maniago will consistently ship high quality stilettos so dealers or individuals can be confident that what they will receive will be defect free.

I'll avoid the temptation to embark on a lengthy monologue about quality as I have worked in that field for 32 years. Instead I'll just say that at least for the short-term, more testing and inspection with more stringent acceptance criteria would solve the problem. it would also increase the reject/rework rate which adds additional pressures. You are most aware of the addtional scrutiny that is given to WaIt's flatguards. I want to go on but won't as I don't want to be perceived as a pompous windbag.

Jim
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

For the most part the Speed Hunters we've had have been very nice and that same quality standard is perfectly doable and would be very nice for everybody.

Is there a posability that some of the dies for the older models are getting worn out??

gramps

Post by gramps »

I really don't think the dies have anything to do with the blades being so far off to the right or the left when in the opened position and the safeties not being tight enough, just sliding up an down without touching them along with the swivel bolster not returning to it's natural position, never mind cracked scales at the pins and there's more if I want to get picky. I just mentioned the simple things that can be corrected with a little, and I stress "a little" care and consideration especially when it's to their benefit for their business, that is if they care about their business that they have with the USA.
If I only knew!