The SMALL ONES

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Claudester

The SMALL ONES

Post by Claudester »

Why do the smaller switches, 5 1/2, 6 1/4, 7 1/2 and 8" have rostfrei stamped on the tang and not inox or at least the ones I have.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
boden

Post by boden »

im a long way from being an expert but i was looking on the internet about a knife i got that is italian and has the same stamp. from what i gather inox is italian for stainless and rostfrei is german for rust free. must be getting blades from germany.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

The complete lack of any special system has always mystified me. It's almost like which ever stamp that is closest they use. I also wonder why blondes don't come in all the sizes under 9" like the black horn does. I have a complete collection from smallest to largest in black that displays nicely and would love to match it with the same in blonde but it doesn't seem to going to be happen. Sure once in a while you find a stray one but never the complete chart. Some of my blacks are old and you can find some blondes smaller that are old but it's a crap shoot.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Inox [Inoxidable] is English [British] for stainless, I think it is used because of tradition and a large number of knives were [originally?] meant for tourists from the British Isles [due to small size easier to sneak by "c-world" on the way home. The larger ones stamped Rostfrei would have more appeal to German speaking people who did not have to hide them to take them home. [All of this is a guess but lacking solid answers from a reliable source it's probably not a bad guess]. It also possible various makers stamp them whatever way they have always stamped them. I have a 7" that is stamped Italy, Stainless, B, Rostfrei [all on the same side and each is on it's own line], The Rostfrei and B are in script, the others in print. The Rostfrei appears to have been done with a pen type engraver. [The back side tang has NO stamping so the front side is a little crowded]. The B is very rough and could be an 8 [on a 7"?] so that only adds to the confusion.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Speaking of mysteries why is Blond Horn so much more popular than the Black? For the same reason vanilla outsells chocolate ice cream? I'm sorry [not really] but well figured Dark Horn appeals to me much more than Blond Horn.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
I agree 100% that the creamy white yellowish fading to black is a great looking scale. The dark horn you get now your lucky if you see two thin swirls that are far from white. With the Blonde lately they have been coming out with some great colors plenty of whites,browns light honey etc that all blends in the way the old dark used to. I can only figure that the entire herd of special cattle or water buffalo they got it from has become extint :wink: Whats your take on why we no longer see good old fashioned dark horn?
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The most recent Dagger blade I got has very nice Dark Horn with lots of white swirls. :)
boden

Post by boden »

:arrow:
Last edited by boden on Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i've had all sizes with all or no tang stamps.......

i prefer the blondes myself, but i admit you are likely to see more flaws in the scales than you do with dark horns. but as PB said, a good creamy swirly one is few and far between! i've ordered black acrylic stiletto's before, and got buffalo - because it was very difficult to tell them apart, you had to hold them to the light just the right way to see some grain...
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg
The best test in the world if you ever have an iota of doubt when it comes to black horn,Black acrylic or fake black horn is to heat a needle and touch each, the one that won't be affected is the real horn. I realize you didn't even ask this question but as I read your thread I thought of it so this is more for the novice collector here who might be confronted with fake horn being passed off as real.
PB
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

the knives i have marked rostfrei on the the tang seem to be better made knives, one is small, just under six inches. the other two are older knives a 9" and 11" stiletto.
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

Pushbutton wrote:Mr Bigg
The best test in the world if you ever have an iota of doubt when it comes to black horn,Black acrylic or fake black horn is to heat a needle and touch each, the one that won't be affected is the real horn. I realize you didn't even ask this question but as I read your thread I thought of it so this is more for the novice collector here who might be confronted with fake horn being passed off as real.
PB
thanks mr PB - i can always tell by thw weight too! but lets not give these tips to the guy in frank's warehouse who keeps sending me horn instead of acrylic! :wink: