Is the term "switchblade" derrogatory?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Is the term "switchblade" derrogatory?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

It seems to me that anyone that has any hoplophobic attitude calls an automatic knife a switchblade in a sneering fashion. I have taught my wife NEVER to call an automatic knife a "switchblade" because of the negative inferences/connotations.

I fully understand that the movies and media were resposible for the sensational furor over the "Switchblades... scourge and killer of youth" mantra, from about 1947-1956 with was responsible for the Federal Switchblade Importation Prohibition.

Would anyone else care to comment on this sociocultural phenomena?

Scott
Fishtail Picklock
Phil Elmore

Re: Is the term "switchblade" derrogatory?

Post by Phil Elmore »

There's nothing derogatory about the term; everybody who hears the word knows what it means, just as most folks from the UK associate the same images with the term "flick knife." It's the object the hoplophobes fear; the terminology makes little difference.
- Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

I like the word and use it.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I love the word and try to use it frequently,
Page 34 in The Switchblades of Italy in paragraph 1 halfway down the page says some knife historians blame the Black Beauty Italian Stiletto ads for the 1958 US ban and the rise of the word "switchblade" (but they were bound to blame it on anything) they just picked the coolest word to pick on.
Leverlock switchblades
chopper561

Post by chopper561 »

I am deeply offended by the word, the good news is I get a beer at the White House for my pain. :lol:
redeye

Post by redeye »

chopper561 wrote:I am deeply offended by the word, the good news is I get a beer at the White House for my pain. :lol:

and a free concert too huh? lol have fun bro.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I like the word, but use automatic too.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

"Political Correctness" run amok...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

I sorta like automatic toad sticker myself.
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

javacupper wrote:I sorta like automatic toad sticker myself.
Likewise 'UN-P.C.'

The crazy PETA people would be up in arms! :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
redeye

Post by redeye »

i "toad" you this was gonna happen. we better just "frog it" about it. and ill send PETA a letter explaning my passion for charred mammal flesh yum yum . and i also like the term "switchblade" and will continue to use it.
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

2 years ago, I was doing some contract work for our local power company. If you guys could see the cutbacks I had to make on the cable, you'd imediately understand why I was using my Leverletto. At one point, the project coordinator from the power company saw me open it. He says "Hey, that's a switchblade. That's a weapon!" I quickly pulled out my non-auto case cheetah and asked him how much less of a weapon this one was. I asked him sarcastically how the lever made my "switchblade" any more of a weapon than the hammer in my bag. He just laughed and I could tell he'd never thought about it logically before. :roll:

Most folks I've talked to think of a menacing looking Italian stiletto when the word "switchblade" comes up. Show those very same folks a nice old schrade double button or something similar and they change their tune. It's so sad than our infinitly wise congress men and women cannot seem to see logic staring them in the face. They make me feel much smarter than I actually am! :lol:
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Good analogy xlr8, and as I have stated here before I have a Pampered Chef grilling tool, a.k.a. "burger flipper" that is much more of a weapon than any of my switchblades. But to many individuals, switchblades are weapons and burger flippers are grilling tools so I guess it is just a stigma that will be around for some time.

Jim
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

I wonder if I went on a rampage with a shovel, would the word "shovel" ever be demonized? I could do much more damage with a shovel than with any puny little "switchblade" and it would be my defensive weapon of choice when working in or around Atlanta. I base this on legality, availability, simplicity and the severe damage that can be inflicted with said "weapon". :twisted:
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

When you get a kit made Leverletto the blade has never been sharpened so it's a letter opener or Leverlettro. I've never considered pulling a flashy noticable knife out on site anywhere. I had a hidden top bolster release dual action clone knife a long time ago that was in one of my work bags that seemed like a well made knife. It was brass w/ a wooden handle and resembled a Buck knife. The only givaway to the dual action was if someone were to drop it because it will switch open :D Nobody ever bothered me about it, somebody actually bought it off me and I bet if I looked it up it would be about $20.
Leverlock switchblades