I'd get a burn before I'd get a cut

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
chrlswtt

I'd get a burn before I'd get a cut

Post by chrlswtt »

Newbie alert,

I've been collecting knives for a few years and have amassed about 35. I have the usual suspects (Microtech, Benchmade, Kershaw, Boker, Spyderco, etc). All arrived to me with blades from sharp to scary sharp. I recently decided to go old school and get a 9" AKC Stiletto with stag scales. I was very surprise and disappointed when the knife arrived and it didn't have an edge or or a blade point to speak of. I called the dealer and he said that it was unusual. He graciously offered to send out another and then I'd return this one once I received the replacement. I'm just wondering whether my expectations are too high considering what I already own. As it is now, I'd be better off with a butter knife. Please advise.
j.a.c.

Re: I'd get a burn before I'd get a cut

Post by j.a.c. »

Stilettos by design aren't meant for cutting ( i know it's a knife) but , with a long blade and pin lock it doesn't take much to bend the back spring or break the pin off.
I have bought brand new with no edge what so ever. The couple of edgeco 9 inch with flat
grind blades we're the only ones I ever had that I considered sharp.
chrlswtt

Post by chrlswtt »

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just amazed at the bad press and evil connotation switchblades have gotten over the years. I really don't even consider this a weapon that could do any damage in it's present state. I guess I'l wait until I get the replacement before I pass judgement. Can these blades be sharpened or do you advise against it? I have a Sharpmaker and a Lansky.

Thanks again
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

chrlswtt,

Your thread title had me (as well as a lot of other members no doubt) wondering. At first I thought you meant:

http://www.burnknives1.com/

Jim
chrlswtt

Post by chrlswtt »

Sorry for the confusion. Hope I didn't break any rules. Like I said I'm new to this forum
Bobby Cadillac

Post by Bobby Cadillac »

The stiletto was meant as a stabbing weapon. Italian stilettos of the 1600s could pierce light armor or chainmale <sp>. Today's stilettos can pierce flack jackets or bulletproof vests (of the none-plate variety). As a stabbing weapon they are equal to the task. Most made today are conversation pieces made to show and will not stand up to the abuse that that is required for combat. (though I bought three from Duebuoi that will do the job) I kind'a like the Leverletto Plus too.

Knives are not defensive weapons. They are offensive weapons. The victim should be dead before the introduction of a knife is noticed. Nothing does that better than a stiletto in the solar-plexes. You don't need an adge.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, just bring reality to the table.

Bobby Cadillac
Gort

Post by Gort »

New Italian Stilettos don't typically come with sharp blades, so you may be disappointed, but you can get a Burn with a razor sharp edge http://www.burnknives1.com/homestartpage2.html. If those are too extreme, you could try a Protech Godfather,
very sharp. very pointy , a magnitude less expensive, and they look sorta kinda like an Italian.

Or you could sharpen an Italian yourself, though the standard 420 Stainless blades don't take a razor edge. Perhaps
a Damascus blade Italian, they'll take an edge, but they do dull pretty quickly.

chrlswtt wrote:Newbie alert,

I've been collecting knives for a few years and have amassed about 35. I have the usual suspects (Microtech, Benchmade, Kershaw, Boker, Spyderco, etc). All arrived to me with blades from sharp to scary sharp. I recently decided to go old school and get a 9" AKC Stiletto with stag scales. I was very surprise and disappointed when the knife arrived and it didn't have an edge or or a blade point to speak of. I called the dealer and he said that it was unusual. He graciously offered to send out another and then I'd return this one once I received the replacement. I'm just wondering whether my expectations are too high considering what I already own. As it is now, I'd be better off with a butter knife. Please advise.
-Gort
chrlswtt

Post by chrlswtt »

I never intended any of my knives as defensive weapons, even though I edc a LW Double Duty. Since I had never even seen a Stiletto up close, I was just surprised how dull and pointless (pun not intended) a Stiletto was. I'm pretty sure I just got a bad one. Soon the replacement will be here and I'm sure I'll have renewed faith. I guess I had visions of a blade similar to my Halo 2.3, not a sharp, but just as pointy. Thanks for all the replies.
Cragar

Post by Cragar »

I just checked several of my stilettos. The DKD (American made) has the sharpest point, equal to or better than that on my ProTech Godfather. The Due Buoi is next, followed by the Frank B.'s, AB's, and others. None of the edges are that sharp, but I'd never really noticed that before. My favorite blade style is the dagger, and all of the tips would be equal to the task they were designed for.

Cragar
chrlswtt

Post by chrlswtt »

Thanks Cragar,

After I get this AKC sorted out, I'll check out some of the other manufacturers you mentioned. After getting over the initial shock, I think it's a pretty cool knife. I can see where the dual action (manual/auto) leaf spring autos evolved from. I think my next one will be a leverletto. They seem to be closer to what I'm use to.

Thanks Again
Last edited by chrlswtt on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cragar

Post by Cragar »

I have four AKC Bill DeShiv's leverlettos. The sharpest tip belongs to the black tactical leverletto and it also has the sharpest edge. I think you're gonna like the leverlettos.

Cragar
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I can vouch for those DKD swingers, pointy and sharp. The Italian stilettos are the coolest but far from being usable.
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

You also might want to look at the 9" AB stilettos with ATS34 flat grind style blades. They arrive pretty sharp and can be made more toward the scary end of the spectrum as that steel is much better than the ususal 420. That stuff is used because it is relatively cheap and easy to work.
chrlswtt

Post by chrlswtt »

I kinda already asked this question but didn't really get an answer back. Can I sharpen a Stiletto blade or is it best to leave it as it is?. If so, can I use my Lansky or Sharpmaker and at what angle?

Thanks
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Yes you can sharpen it , can't help with the angle as I don't have one to compare.