13" Latama

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
chopper561

13" Latama

Post by chopper561 »

I am lucky enough to have gotten my hands on a 13" Latama and an 11" M. Italy. Both knives have been poorly sharpened at some point. I know blades can be re-ground. I have chatted with Walt @ latama.net about the work. Who would the group recomend to work on a couple of nice old picklocks?
chopper561
jim d,

Re: 13" Latama

Post by jim d, »

I would not recommend regrinding a vintage picklock just to offset a poor attempt at sharpening. Let me know if I am missing a relevant deteil.

Jim
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Post pics please! :)
chopper561

Post by chopper561 »

OK, It looks like someone put the thing on a wheel grinder it is scratched and gouged to hell. Any helpful suggestions on who does good work?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I hear this guys pretty good...:wink: http://www.billdeshivs.com/
Squire80

Post by Squire80 »

Maybe I am being a little dense but, if a blade has been gouged and basically ruined by an idiot and a grinder, why would regrinding deep and to the extent the complete original blade profile is long gone, be acceptable. If one has really been that butchered, it would seem replacing the blade should be an option. I realize that means losing the logo or name of maker, but why would you want a ruined knife in a collection?
Is turning it back into an attractive functional knife simply out of the question?
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Are you the Atlanta "Chopper"?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm the guy that does it. It's done by hand-IF there is enough blade left for it to be done. It's expensive, and I'm not doing it right now. Replacing vintage blades is not an option.
There may be others that can do it, but none that I can recommend, as I have not seen their work.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.