Any Blade Show pictures or updates ???

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Any Blade Show pictures or updates ???

Post by Tom19176 »

I remember a few members saying they were going to Blade this year. I saw some pictures posted on Bladeforumns, but no news here yet.....I guess no one is back till tonight or tommorrow.....hope to see some good pictures and hear of some great buys !!!!!
jim d,

Re: Any Blade Show pictures or updates ???

Post by jim d, »

I'm typing this message from the Atlanta airport - left the show a little over an hour ago. No pictures as I forgot my camera but I can say that the show is unbelievable. For me, the best part was getting to meet and spend time with so many members of our community. Switchblades are only a fraction of what the blade show is about, but nonetheless it took me 2 days to see them all. That should give you an idea of the size of the show.

The drill for us is that you spend the days walking the show, meeting and talking to other switchblade people, looking at, and buying/selling if you wish. Then it is dinner, likely with some switchblade folks, then to "the pit" for more good times. There is also a lot of switchblade buying/selling/admiring that goes on in the pit. The folks from the forums seem to stick together around a large table or two. Last night tequiza and Dick Carroll provided me with a clear liquid to drink that reduced my ability to see clearly.

I think there is nearly as much informal switchblade buying/selling as there is people buying from registered sellers with tables. I bought 3 knives and none were purchased from those on display for sale. I acquired a pristine 8cm smooth bone Hubertus, an equally pristine Boker 715 with the old style etch ('60's era), and an 18 inch stag ringpull that wasn't even at the show. I got the ringpull from Angelo himself, who I was honored to meet. One thing that I thought was pretty bad is that Angelo brought some vintage stilettos and huge prototype swinguards, and had them for sale on one of Bob and Gloria's tables. Directly across the aisle from them (maybe 10 feet away) was a seller with counterfeit Leverlettos. Funny thing, none of us payed any attention to what the purveyor of fakes had to offer.

To sum it all up, I'll be back next year. Some years ago Ragtime Red made the comment that you meet the nicest people in the switchblade community. I couldn't agree more.

Jim
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks for the update Jim...Too bad there are no pictures from you....canb you tell a bit more about the large swing guards??? How large? Style? SAFE TRIP HOME !!
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

A long standing resident of Mayberry USA was caught in the act, at the Pit trying to abscond with another members beer :shock: his only alibi was someone named Korn Liquor made him do :roll: futher pics of said incident will be forthcoming :P
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Please don't tell me Jim did any table dancing! :lol: :P :wink:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

OK, here is what happened. I was sitting next to Mr. tequiza, enjoying the festivities. He got up and then knives began to be passed around, which is a common occurrence at the switchblade table. I stood up and moved over to where tequiza's seat was to reach a knife that was being handed to me, then another, then another. After I handed them back I reached in front of me and grabbed the beer, which turned out to be his. So, am I guilty as charged? Yes. Did I realize it wasn't my beer? No. Could Korn Liquor have affected my perception??? Did I have any business handling rare and valuable picklocks at that time???

Jim
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Tom,

The swinguards are 13 inches I believe and very, very hefty. I understand the production models willl be a bit thinner. The three I saw were scaled in horn and stag and were quite nice.

Jim
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I was there also and happened to be next to jim d when he was introduced to the Boker. I was lucky enough to be able to purchase one also. I have only been into this genre for less than a year so was kind of dumb-founded and had no idea what to do rather than walk around open mouthed gawking. My wife was with me and she loves glittery things (just look at her fingers). Nevertheless she became very popular gushing over the custom folders and the makers were all too happy to talk fundamentals with her for long periods of time which slowed me down. :lol:
Due Buoi had a booth and I spoke with their maker for quite a period of time since I do own two. I don't remember the gentleman's name but he was relatively young and spoke english remarkably well. When I mentioned arthas he beamed. He stated they had to do some re-tooling with their leverlock to accept scales but it should be ready this month.
I saw one custom that had sliding bolsters open/close that could be used with either hand. He stated it was his own design.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks Jim for the swing update...13" WOW....ANY ONE have pictures????????
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife fastr19. I think we got lucky on those Bokers - right place at the right time. I also think that you talked to the right person at the Due Buoi booth. I talked to the American guy (distributor?) and didn't have a good experience.

Jim
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Jim, I know what you're talking about. The whole time I was talking to the maker(?) the other guy was flirting with my wife.
I really enjoyed speaking with you also. Good luck with the University of Maryland thing. See you next year?
Allen
Oh yes, I came home with 6 knives. Two I bought at the pit from redeye and 4 at the show. Nothing remarkable except for the Boker.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Allen,

Yes, I plan to be there next year. Regarding the Univ. of Maryland, she only has one more semester so the bulk of the financial hit is behind me. By the way, impressive alma mater on your part.

On another topic, I'll post the information that John provided about Hubertus leverlocks.
1955-1972: tang stamp
1972-1984: black blade etch (W Germany)
1984-1988: grey blade etch (W Germany)
1989 - present: the "W" got gone (as we say in N.C.)

Jim
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Still haven't had time to go thru and edit any pics,,,,her are a couple of the beaming new owner of "Gladius" the masterpiece co-conspired by Pat and Bill. Believe me, that is a sweet piece!!!
Attachments
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG (43.21 KiB) Viewed 9014 times
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
Radius

Post by Radius »

It was a pleasure finally meeting all of you in person this weekend.
Nice to finally put a face with a name.
Allen, it was a true pleasure sitting down and talking to you and your wife Saturday night. I hope I didn't bore her too much explaining tang stamps. :oops:
I wish you two could have stayed a little longer. BTW, nice score on those pieces that you got from Redeye.

I have to say in Jim D's defense, as a neutral third party, unaffected by the Korn, that it was all a misunderstanding with the stolen Corona.
He was reaching over the table to return a knife. However, he did take a drink of it, just to piss you off after you accused him of stealing it. :mrgreen:
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

[Radius/quoteI have to say in Jim D's defense, as a neutral third party, unaffected by the Korn, that it was all a misunderstanding with the stolen Corona.
He was reaching over the table to return a knife. However, he did take a drink of it, just to piss you off after you accused him of stealing it. ]
I didn't mind him taking a drink Cliff, that was one the beer's you bought me :D , here's what really happened, Jim being used to those weak squeezen's from NC got ahold of some of the Ga necter and he just couldn't handle it :P tried to stand up, did a little side step, caught the next chair and held on, thinking he was still in the same spot he reached out and got my beer thinking it was his, and that's the rest of the story. :lol:
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers