Best procedure for buffing out scratches

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
xlr8

Best procedure for buffing out scratches

Post by xlr8 »

Hello,

I bought this Buck 110 a few years back and love it overall. I bought it with the intention of actually using it for odd & end daily tasks and it fits the bill for me. I replaced the factory edge with a 17 degree edge using a Lansky Diamond set. I'm not kidding, this knife is now so sharp, I'm scared to let other people mess with it.

This knife was made by a company called "S.W.A.T." and is of very good quality overall. One tiny flaw in this knife is the polish job that was done at swat's factory. You can't see them very well in the photos, but there are scratches on both sides of the bolters, most notably next to the firing button. They look as if they could be buffed out fairly easily, but I need a reliable procedure for this. Also, the blade came with a satin or brushed finish from the factory, but the very bottom of the blade (where the mods were done) has been buffed to a high shine. Aesthetically, it does not look right. Is it possible for me to complete the buff job myself? Just looks so sloppy the way it is now.
DSC01535.JPG
DSC01535.JPG (154.56 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
DSC01536.JPG
DSC01536.JPG (151.87 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
DSC01538.JPG
DSC01538.JPG (140.82 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Oh God, that knife has a spring in it!! Everybody RUN!!!!!
butch

Re: Best procedure for buffing out scratches

Post by butch »

ive got 2 110's an auto and a mannual action and theyre my favorite everyday cary as you already know they hold a wicked sharp edge,ive got one on my belt right now,nice knife. 8)
texasmad

Post by texasmad »

If you have a buffing wheel and some green rouge it shouldn't take but just a couple of minutes to get those out, if not a dremil with a felt wheel on it will work with the green rouge but with a dremil you would have to be careful because it spins so fast it will heat up the bolster in no time.
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

[quote][a dremil with a felt wheel on it will work with the green rouge but with a dremil you would have to be careful because it spins so fast it will heat up the bolster in no time./quote]

This is what I was sort of worried about. I consider myself pretty handy with a lot of things, but polishing steel (or actually nickel) is a new one for me.

I have a few questions:

1. Where can I find green rouge?

2. If I use a dremel, I'm guessing I should use a lower speed setting on the bolters, but what about the stainless blade?

3. Do you guys think I could get that beautiful shine over the entire blade with a dremel?

4. I like this knife so much that I'd consider sending it off to have a little filing flair added to it. Should I just have it all done in one fell swoop by someone who knows what they're doing?

Thanks in advance!
texasmad

Post by texasmad »

1. Some major hardware stores carry it in small blocks..example Lowes & Home Depot
2 & 3. Do not use a dremil on the blade, :shock: it will get way too hot and also kill the edge you have on your knife if you get anywhere near it.
4. If you really want it done right sending it to someone is your best bet. 8)
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

Talk about instant gratification...
shininess 001.jpg
shininess 001.jpg (155.48 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
shininess 002.jpg
shininess 002.jpg (152.38 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

BTW, I used this Ryobi yellow (labled E 4.7 microns) on the first go'round, and the same brand of white (labeled H 2.5 microns) to finish up. Are these rouges generically color coded? Ryobi didn't off green at home depot, so I went with what I thought might work and well...see for yourselves.
xlr8

Post by xlr8 »

shininess 2 002.jpg
shininess 2 002.jpg (139.21 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
shininess 2 003.jpg
shininess 2 003.jpg (138.43 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
Whadya think?
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Huge improvement ,looks great . Nice work.
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Turned out great! 8)
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
Radius

Post by Radius »

The polishing turned out great. :D
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Looks great.

SD