Movie Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dark2023

Re: Movie Switchblades

Post by dark2023 »

Is the one in Clockwork Orange listed
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

dark2023 wrote:Is the one in Clockwork Orange listed
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... rk#p198005
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
sharpedge

Re: Movie Switch's

Post by sharpedge »

Jeff wrote:They are your crimes now.
Nice find gunner! I see it is in the switchblade Smithsonian :D Dang, bobtack has got everything.
This is a Rizzi I've never seen other than autoknifes collection. It's got a wasp style body and stamped Rizzuto Estiletto Milano. A Japanese model.

Jeff:
I had one of these several years ago.I sold it to a man whose name I don't remember now...my knife's blade peeked quite a bit. I had a USMC NCO sword that the Battalion Supply Officer of 1st Battalion 2nd Marine Regiment sold to me for $80.00 back in 1986. As I was visiting a friend on the Outer Banks of North Carolina about 6 months later, we stopped at the Indian Museum in I believe Manteo. I asked the owner if he had any knives he wanted to get rid of, well he pulled out a small box with the Wasp body Rizzy that is identical to yours, a 4 1/8" yellow Fat Jack w/guards shown on pg.46 of Mark Erickson's Antique American Switchblades and several other knives (non-auto) along with a 2 7/8ths Press Button Model 300 shown in Mark's book on pg. 96, but this knife had the button missing for the small blade. You could still trip the blade and fire it by pushing a small rod down where the button was. The Rizzy went to a collector in either Washington State or Oregon (don't remember which one) for $40.00 about 10 years ago. The other knives were traded to another collector locally about the same time. Not to bad of a deal for the price! Still wish had the Rizzy though.

Mike
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

Jeff wrote:They are your crimes now.
Nice find gunner! I see it is in the switchblade Smithsonian :D Dang, bobtack has got everything.
This is a Rizzi I've never seen other than autoknifes collection. It's got a wasp style body and stamped Rizzuto Estiletto Milano. A Japanese model.

Mike
BTB0923 wrote:
sharpedge wrote:Goofy actually had one while fishing (ice Fishing I believe) in what had to be a 1940's or earlier cartoon...it looked to be like a Press Button, button in the bolster...I believe it was posted in the Switchblade Forum several years ago,bu I could be wrong about that.
8) Mickey Cartoons - On Ice (Sept. 28, 1935)...

Where in the world did you dig up this old cartoon? I thought it was lost forever.....frame #7 even shows good knife handling by Goofy closing the blade properly which was good PR to teach kids how to close a knife..Walt thought of everything...too bad he's gone now..I miss his old cartoons!

Mike
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

TRYKER wrote:
sharpedge wrote:Here are a few more:

Goofy actually had one while fishing (ice Fishing I believe) in what had to be a 1940's or earlier cartoon...it looked to be like a Press Button, button in the bolster...I believe it was posted in the Switchblade Forum several years ago,bu I could be wrong about that.

Also, if anyone remembers the Bowery Boys that played on TV in the early to mid 60's...there was a scene where Sach has met up in a room with a New York Hood who draws a swing guard from his inside left pocket of his suitcoat and cuts Sach's tie off...wish I had a copy of that episode...also, I thought swing guards were a little later than what is likely portrayed as the late 1940's.

Everyone forgot the The Grinch that Stole Christmas where Jim Carey has a 13" Kriss Stag that he cuts the turkey with. I believe it was 2003 or later...but not later than 2005.

Lawrence Fishburn had a 11" open black handled switch that he operated with his left hand...I can't remember the name of the movie, however, it was portraying the 1920's or 30's and Fishburn had just got out of jail...New York if I remember correctly..I wish I could remember the name of the movie.

HOODLUM

Tryker:
Are you saying that HOODLUM was the title of the Lawrence Fishburn movie? What year? Or are you referring to the Bowery Boys by referring to hood as Hoodlum...we as kids in the 60's always said "hood"?

Mike
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

Does anyone remember the SNL episode where Belushi was dressed up as the "Killer Bees"? He whips out a Rizzy and cuts a telephone cord in an office setting....good episode, I remember it like yesterday.

Mike
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

Tryker:
I just rented HOODLUM...now I know what you were talking about...thanks....

Mike
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

sharpedge wrote:Tryker:
I just rented HOODLUM...now I know what you were talking about...thanks....

Mike

:wink: :wink: :wink:
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

All:
Just finished watching HOODLUM w/Lawrence Fishburne (spelled it wrong before), excellent flick...I had forgot that the character named Vallie had a switchblade in the ice cream shop scene...my stop action doesn't freeze it well enough to see a still photo of the blade...it wasn't a real clear shot of the knife anyway, but it did look like it might have been a swinger, but I could be wrong about that....I also didn't remember that "Bumpy" Johnson's blade was a Kriss and it is pretty clear in slow motion that he is triggering the button w/his left index finger on what would typically be a "right handed stiletto"...I wasn't sure the first time I watched this movie several years ago and thought back then that the knife could have been a "lefty" made for Fishburne, but now I realize that my assumptions were wrong.

The character "Whispers" had a really nice straight razor...wonder if he used a Wostenholm or Case or another famous brand...

All in all a very good flick that is somewhat historical, although there is the disclaimer to the living at the end....

Mike (sharpedge) Sloan :D :D :D
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Tonight (7/3) on PBS they showed the latest Hercule Poirot mystery, "Hallowe'en Party". Although it only makes a couple of split second appearances, there is no mistaking the 11" stiletto. I rewound it on my DVR and it appears to be a bayonet blade.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

sharpedge wrote:Where in the world did you dig up this old cartoon? I thought it was lost forever.....frame #7 even shows good knife handling by Goofy closing the blade properly which was good PR to teach kids how to close a knife..Walt thought of everything...too bad he's gone now..I miss his old cartoons!

Mike
It was actually a very easy find. It's on youtube :D ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs0TQbAQd_k
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

Ok, and thanks BTB0923........I just watched the whole clip which I had never seen before...hilarious!! Amazing the song Goofy is singing.."oh the world owes me a living" if I'm hearing him right....wonder where that came from...LOL....thanks again!!!

Mike
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Dragonsteel found this one....a coffin shaped leverlock in the movie "The Wages of Fear." Interesting thing is that supposedly these knives were made in the sixties, but this movie came out in 1953....

BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Therer's a super auto otf in the movie "Employee of the Month"...

BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

In the second episode of the first season of the show "Archer" the character Lana has a fairly realistic looking (for a cartoon) Italian-style stiletto...