Movie Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TRYKER

Re: Movie Switchblades

Post by TRYKER »

Vagabund wrote:In one of his early black and white movies plays Steve Mc Queen a young gang member who uses a gravity knife. I saw many years ago only the trailer and try to find out the title. Does anyone know this movie?
i forgot the title, but i wathched it on line last fall. the leader of the gang was chekov from star trek
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Vagabund

Post by Vagabund »

"Somebody Up There Likes Me" (1956) Probably an othello gravity. Steve Mc Queen is only in one of the first scene to see with the knife.
TMD

Post by TMD »

An OTF is used in a brutal stabbing, in the movie Kill the irishman
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1416801/

/ TMD
Panzerfaust

Re: Movie Switch's

Post by Panzerfaust »

BTB0923 wrote:
Jeff_75 wrote:Once Upon a Time in America has a swinguard.
I didn't see a swinguard, but there are a couple stilettos...

BTB, after watching your compilation many times, I realized the knife in "Once Upon a Time in America" is a button-open/button-close. Notice that the knife does not have a locking tab. I have one just like it. Woo-hoo! :D
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (31.91 KiB) Viewed 13429 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (28.27 KiB) Viewed 13429 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (32.05 KiB) Viewed 13429 times
redeye

Post by redeye »

TRYKER wrote:
Vagabund wrote:In one of his early black and white movies plays Steve Mc Queen a young gang member who uses a gravity knife. I saw many years ago only the trailer and try to find out the title. Does anyone know this movie?
i forgot the title, but i wathched it on line last fall. the leader of the gang was chekov from star trek
I think you guys have two differant movies going on here.the one with Chekov is an episode of Alfred Hitchcocks theatre/ and it has a very young James Caan in it . I saw it not too long ago myself. i am not familier with Steve using a gravity knife but I have been wrong before once lol
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Vagabund

Post by Vagabund »

redeye wrote:
TRYKER wrote:
I think you guys have two differant movies going on here.the one with Chekov is an episode of Alfred Hitchcocks theatre/ and it has a very young James Caan in it . I saw it not too long ago myself. i am not familier with Steve using a gravity knife but I have been wrong before once lol
Yes, we are talking about different movies. Steve Mc Queen had in "Somebody Up There Likes Me" (1956) a very secondary role (Paul Newman is the protoganist) and showes up only twice in first minutes of the movie, but in both with a gravity knife.
ybert

Post by ybert »

BTB0923 wrote:There was a cartoon version of the "glaive" from Krull in an episode of South Park...
Ohh, I remember this episode.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

In the movie "Gorky Park", a man pulls out an OTF or gravity knife in a fight scene (it's very quick). (same scene where William Hurt's character jumps through a window)
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

Just watched The Night of the Hunter, starring Robert Mitchum, on TCM last night - great movie
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

dark2023 wrote:Dunno if it'd count, but the Video Game "Fallout: New Vegas" has a switchblade (called just that). In appearance it resembles a Rizzuto swinguard (with a dagger grind (and no firing button or safety)). Oddly, it opens and closes like an OTF knife.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Switchbla ... New_Vegas)
It seems the whole line of Fallout games have switchblades in them...

There's a switchblade in the popular social networking game "Mafia Wars"...

And here is a screenshot from the recently released game "L.A Noir"...

Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

whippersnapper wrote:I don't see it listed....Seems like the Swayze movie "Roadhouse" had a couple switchblades.
There were a lot of blades, but I think only one was an auto...

Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

In the Simpsons episode "Moe Baby Blues", Fat Tony takes out a switch to carve an orange peel into monster teeth, much like the previously mentioned SNL skit...

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

BTB0923 wrote:
whippersnapper wrote:I don't see it listed....Seems like the Swayze movie "Roadhouse" had a couple switchblades.
There were a lot of blades, but I think only one was an auto...

Since posting, I watched most of it again and believe you are right....Sorry about that. :oops:

I did see a trailer of a just for DVD release movie called "Prowl". Looks like a gal uses a 11 inch stiletto on one of the vampires.

I'm not sure if this is the same trailer...I'm stuck in the stone ages with dial-up and can't do videos to check.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5878057/p ... e_trailer/
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

BTB0923 wrote:
dark2023 wrote:Dunno if it'd count, but the Video Game "Fallout: New Vegas" has a switchblade (called just that). In appearance it resembles a Rizzuto swinguard (with a dagger grind (and no firing button or safety)). Oddly, it opens and closes like an OTF knife.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Switchbla ... New_Vegas)
It seems the whole line of Fallout games have switchblades in them...

There's a switchblade in the popular social networking game "Mafia Wars"...

And here is a screenshot from the recently released game "L.A Noir"...

A few interesting notes. The switchblade in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas operates like an OTF, and the guards stay were they are, even when it's closed. Even odder it has no firing button (on either side). Also dunno know if anyone noticed, but the on in mafia wars looks like a lockback (no button, large tab on back, blade shape), and (most interesting of all) the switch in L.A Noir is reversed (look closely at the blade) and has no locking tab (so much for it supposedley being an ULTRA HIGH QUALITY REALISTIC game).
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Vagabund wrote:Steve Mc Queen had in "Somebody Up There Likes Me" (1956) a very secondary role (Paul Newman is the protoganist) and showes up only twice in first minutes of the movie, but in both with a gravity knife.