Boker improved cutlery

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Re: Boker improved cutlery

Post by button_man »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:27 pm Just buy knives you like, at prices that appeal to you. This makes it simple.
In a practical sense, what difference does it make if a knife is "rare?"

If you are collecting for monetary gain, you do need to research. This research can be as interesting as the knives themselves.

Bill, rarity (or ANY aspect of a knife that substantially adds to its value) makes a big difference on the practical level. It means that I can sell or trade at a profit; which is not only personally gratifying, but gives me increased means to expand my collection.

Buying knives that I like at acceptable prices only works when I actually get what i pay for; it stops being simple when I get duped by fakes.

I'm very interested in research -- I've bought every book on switchblades that I can find. I try to absorb everything I can from here. But there's an awful lot to know; my memory isn't what it used to be; and countless bits of information on switchblades are scattered on dozens of sites all over the place. Kinda tough for the average joe to get a handle on even a part of the picture.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on streamlining research. For instance, there's tons of info on this site alone; but I've spent hours scrolling through old threads and by the time I'm done, my head is swimming and I can't remember half of what I've read. I absorb much better from books than screens; I've often wished that someone would pull together all the hard data on this site and print it.

I'm not sure there's an easy answer..... just thinking out loud......

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You can always ask here before you buy.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

button_man - to answer your questions from yesterday, here is what I know. The dolphin brand knives are available and I do not own any. Some folks apparently got theirs directly through Lucio DiBon / Francesco Mariani. I don't have their contact info. I have also seen them on AAPK. Commentary from owners and those more familiar with them than me is that they are essentially nice Beltrames that have select scales. Regarding AAPK, my experience is that there are sellers asking multiples of market value for a knife, and there are good deals to be had from honest sellers. So, it is all about knowing what you are buying. As Bill states, you can always ask here.

Regarding Renzo P knives, I don't know what to say and don't know whether he is making any more knives. He is well into his 80's. It seems that every time rumors of his retirement abound, a small run of his knives appear. What I can say is that everyone seems to agree upon is that his knives are of very high quality (I only own 1). They are also relatively expensive.

You mentioned knife prices. A member and I had a discussion last night about price increases for Italian switchblades over the years, and how they have outpaced inflation and the stock market. Both of us have shared that information with our wives, and neither had a receptive audience.

Regarding research, the SharperDeal forum is a wealth of information. It is barely active now, as most current activity has migrated to the Sharperdeal Facebook group, but doing a search there for a topic of interest can be quite productive.

Jim
button_man

Post by button_man »

It seems that most of my buying is done at shows, flea markets, or shops with the seller standing there waiting for me to make up my mind. I seldom have time to post a question and wait for a response. I appreciate the support but it usually doesn't work out that way.

Jim d. -- on the rare occasions when a batch of Renzo Pascotto knives appear, where do I find them?

Just sent this query to Boker.de --

"Hello -- Has Boker ever contracted with Massaro (Italy) to produce lever-operated knives (Springmesser) with markings of: "Boker improved cutlery" ? --or licensed such markings to be used on knives made in Italy? Please view the photos here: talkblade.info > switchblades > Boker Improved Cutlery. Scroll down to the (better) photos at the bottom of page one. Nobody on this site has ever seen this knife. Thank you."

If I hear anything from Boker I will of course post it here ASAP.

button_man

Post by button_man »

jim d. -- BTW thanks for the info on tracking down stuff. I'm interested to see what those "dolphin" knives look like.

Amusing bit about the domestic discussions! I'm sure different views would have been expressed had the topic been shoes, purses, or cosmetics.

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm just going to try to keep my mouth shut when it comes to giving values. Too many variables and why I usually lean toward lower estimates.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

button_man - there are photos on AAPK of the dolphin knives for sale. I don't want copy and paste them here because folks get angry about that (even though the seller might appreciate the publicity).

Jim
button_man

Post by button_man »

Interesting that all the 'dolphin' knives shown
are only in the 13" size.... nothing else.

Received an automated response from Boker.
"We got your inquiry and will address it ASAP"

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

button_man wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 am ...

Interesting that all the 'dolphin' knives shown
are only in the 13" size.... nothing else.
I’m not exactly sure which you’re looking for. The newest run of Renzo Pascotto flatguards (etched with Dolphins on the back) are 35cm, but there are also “Dolphin” knives by Beltrame and Massaro in smaller sizes.
Last edited by JulesVane on Mon May 13, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I have a couple I bought from someone here, been awhile back and don't remember who it was. Nice knives and the guy thought they may be fake. They are nice knives and even if they are fakes they are well worth what I paid for them. Seems like I got them both for $65 but I've been wrong before.
2024 candidate for president