Addiction Acquired

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DonFannuci

Addiction Acquired

Post by DonFannuci »

Yesterday, as I stated in another thread, I had talked to Walt Halucha for awhile which was a pleasure, and ended up purchasing the Walt's Classic 11 in brazilian horn with a half grind blade. I have had two knives swirling around in my head but told myself that I would only purchase one since they're both pretty expensive. But after purchasing the Walt classic, all last night I was up till 3am looking at pics and reading about the frosolone switches made by Renzo Pascotto and woke up this morning still with a burning desire to have the frosolone model.

I'm a recovering alcoholic and I can relate this feeling to the same feeling of being truly addicted. It's like the money was just burning a hole in my pocket and its a truly uncomfortable feeling I've had. I know that no matter what, if I don't buy it, I'm going to constantly be thinking about it, and I also know that it's not every day that I can afford to plop down close to $600 for knives that do nothing but sit in the display case and occasionaly come out to be carried and flicked. So I just said screw it, plus I felt bad because I had contacted both Walt and Bernie and told myself that I'll buy from whoever contacts me first. Well that didn't work because as I said I still had this really uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, like a very nervous feeling even after purchasing the Walt switch. Plus I felt bad that I was not getting one from Bernie after already sending him an email inquiring about the frosolone.

So now my money is in an addressed envelope waiting to go out tomorrow to Bernie. I'm glad that I'm getting it but at the same time I feel guilty and in a way kinda disgusted with myself because its like I can't control my spending with this hobby. I figure that now I pretty much have all of the models I really want. The Walt and frosolone are kinda like my holy grail knives so I figure I'll be good for a long while now.

Can anyone relate to this feeling. It's not a good feeling and conjures up feelings of remorse. But then I tell myself that I need to save my money but for what? I've wanted both of these knives for some time now so why not get it right?

Anyways, when they come in I'll post pictures here. I know I'm going to really like them and they'll last forever. Plus if one needs money they can always resell them, usually for a loss but that's better than nothing. Unlike a night of boozing where the next day you have nothing to show for it except a hangover and possibly an STD!

I guess I'm looking for a little validation here, telling me I made the right decision in ploping down and sacrificing alot of cash on two good knives. The only knife I would want now is a genuine Coricama or old Latama but I don't have a burning desire probably because I know I can't readily buy one. You have to wait until one is available.

I also figure it this way: Bernie has only a limited amount of these left as does hooker blades and once they are gone, they are gone and, I believe, that in a year or two it will be about impossible to find these for less than $500 because they were made in such limited numbers, it's not a style they produce normally, and it is completely handmade by a master craftsman of these knives. I think we are lucky to have workmanship like this available to us in this day and age for this price. Not that they are cheap by any means, in fact they're a bit higher priced than I'd like to pay but I wanted one and they aren't around for any less and I think for the quality craftsmanship that $300-350 is a fair price for in a sense a custom made knife.

I have been eyeing some PLP knives and I honestly think that when I buy my next knife, that is who I'll purchase from..

I'm really not into collecting every color of every size of knife just to have them. For instance a 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, and 18 all in red of Frank B knives or AB. I don't have that many knives but they are all quality and thats kinda how im approaching this hobby. Maybe after I have all the high quality knives I pretty much can get I'll start in on colors. Maybe im just trying to justify my purchases and make myself feel better too. I don't know.

What I can say to any newcomer to these knives is that this very much can and usually does become an addiction every bit like drug addiction or alcoholism. But these knives sure are cool and I think if nothing else, at least someday you'll have something that is worth something and will appreciate in value. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
ILikeStilettos

Re: Addiction Acquired

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Go on SD and look for the word "snootrus" - that will lead you to Killbucket's fabulous work. Also look for "Cameron".
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
DonFannuci

Post by DonFannuci »

I don't like the way killbucket does not make the scales flush with the backspring/spine. His stuff is cool just all the different knives he constructs from existing knives but a mangle job is not what I'm looking for. I like the way PLP makes them just like they are supposed to be made, like that classic look. But I can see how people would like killbuckets knives, just not my style.
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

You pretty well described the knife addiction that I have as well!
I am now up to 123, everything from cheapies to expensive ( at least expensive to me ).

My wife found out how many I have, and what they cost, and it all went down hill from there!

It started when I was a kid living on our farm. One of my uncles had a schrade switchblade, and I got it after he died .
When I was around 15, I aquired several bullfighter lever locks.

In 2005, my wife and I went to Italy on vacation.
All I could think about was buying a switchblade from the place that they were made.
I bought an AB 11 inch Damascus with burl wood handles in Venice.
Brought it back in my checked luggage.

Unless she makes me sell them, I will have a bunch to leave my grand kids when im gone.

You're right, it is a addiction ..... but at least you do have something to show for it!

My latest purchases are 2 of the Frosolones, one brass bolstered , and one nickel silver, both 10 inch.

I also purchased 3 of the 10 inch 5mm Renzo Pascotto autos, which are incredible!
One black horn, one light horn, one stag.

Mike
DonFannuci

Post by DonFannuci »

I know, now im thinking I need a brass bolstered one. Ahhh, I'm fine for awhile now. One frozzy is good enough for me now. I'm glad I put this up because now I see how much worse others are. Oh well, there's always someone worse and someone not as bad as you. It is an addiction though. I could never be like this with guns for instance. What is it about these little gadgets that possess us. I know the answer to that but I can see how people would think we're crazy.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Some of us also collect guns and/or muscle cars and/or gemstone skulls and/or guitars and/or motorcycles ... One guy showed me he had over 100 15" knives plus all the others ...

Nobody ever said one addiction precludes another.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Rubens Blades

Post by Rubens Blades »

ILikeStilettos wrote:Go on SD and look for the word "snootrus" - that will lead you to Killbucket's fabulous work. Also look for "Cameron".

I have seen you promote Killbuckets work a few times here. But it can be misleading to new collectors to recommend an amature under the guise of professional work. While I understand that you may like his work,most other serious collectors can see that he has a very long way to go before he is even close to doing the kind of work other makers do. The quality is just not there yet, But he does have a good imagination,and hopefully he will get there one day.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Rubens Blades wrote:
ILikeStilettos wrote:Go on SD and look for the word "snootrus" - that will lead you to Killbucket's fabulous work. Also look for "Cameron".

I have seen you promote Killbuckets work a few times here. But it can be misleading to new collectors to recommend an amature under the guise of professional work. While I understand that you may like his work,most other serious collectors can see that he has a very long way to go before he is even close to doing the kind of work other makers do. The quality is just not there yet, But he does have a good imagination,and hopefully he will get there one day.
Since this is a friendly place, I am going to try and keep this friendly. I own several Killbucket knives that are every bit as good as famous maker knives, perhaps not the quality, but far, far exceeding innovation and style. Some favor traditional, some like wild. I don't think I said anything differently.

Considering your reputation, I don't think you have the right to say what you said. He understands professionalism. You have talent, but zero professionalism.

That's my response, and I don't want to start a fight. Moderators, feel free to delete. Please, Chad, don't even respond. You said your piece and I said mine. I hope you will keep posting pretty pieces, and I might even buy one at some point. However, don't ever presume to lecture me on ethics.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Rubens Blades

Post by Rubens Blades »

You said it yourself,the quality is not as good as the pros. So the scenario I have in my head is that someone takes your recommendation and has him do some custom work for them. If they are already used to quality work from the pros,then they will be disappointed when they receive their knife.

You are allowed to think what you want,and like what you want. But when you extend your opinion to a forum and recommend someone to do work that is clearly not a professional,then others are also allowed to state their opinions that oppose that argument. This is not a lecture,but an opinion. I am not the only one with that opinion,just the only one to say something about it.

I said nothing personal about you,so for you to say that I am not professional is a joke. You and I have never done business with each other,so you are speaking on a subject you know nothing about. My reputation is exactly why I am allowed to say what I am saying. I am more than qualified.

Good professional makers (excluding myself) are being left out after working really hard for years to create their quality knives and reputations. It is my opinion that they should be on the forefront on the forums. The best quality work should always be recommended first.This is my opinion as an observer and collector,not a maker.

So I stand my my opinion. He is not a professional knife maker,mangler,whatever you want to call it. Not yet. So for now I would recommend at least 10 other proven makers before I would recommend him.He may act like a professional,except when it comes to raking my name over the coals,but that was not my argument. I am talking about the work,not the person.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Rubens Blades wrote:

I don't see ILS promoting anything, he's simply saying have a look at killbuckets knives, he likes them, others may not, if you don't like what you see, then you don't have to buy anything, just move on :!: enough said :!:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
DonFannuci

Post by DonFannuci »

Hey Ruben, instead of stirring up the pot, why don't you let the newcomer, me, make my own decision. I don't need your opinion and I already know this about killbucket. I can tell that he's a mangler. I may not be the most seasoned collector but I've probably read through 70% of all the pages in this forum, have watched many videos and have basically had a baptism of fire with an intense crash course in this hobby. I'll tell you what, if you're in anyway affiliated with roadsideimports or this JB who doesn't know who the hell he is (talks like a black yet goes on and on and on about his Scottish heritage and is always trying to identify friendly with anybody of nordic origin and acts like they are the only ones who understand anything) and is just a plain idiotic nuisance and is homophobic to the point that he has to state that he isn't gay in his disclaimer on his website, I would and will never do business with you. Its people like you and him that make an Internet forum an unpleasant place to be.
All you ever do is downgrade eveyone else and basically just start s $=÷t with everyone on here. How do you expect to really ever succeed in anything battling the world like you do? Your guys best bet would be to disappear and come back months later under a ccompletely new identity including a new website because as it stands, I don't have to say anything, just do a simple google search on you guys, watch the youtube videos of roadsideimports and read the comments below. The vast majority think you both are complete moronic scumbags and those aren't my words but the words of the people. It's people like you I can't stand and the reason so many people leave the forums. To a newcomer you leave a horrible impression of yourself and to think that ANYBODY does business with you is beyond me no matter how good you are at fixing/making knives. You could make something equal to a Burn and I wouldn't buy it from you even if it was $20. I guess I'm stubborn. Now get lost frog!
Rubens Blades

Post by Rubens Blades »

Those are very interesting and passionate responses. I do believe I have to right to inform ILS (the same person that has tried to correct many people on the terms they use and how they talk on this forum) that very simply it may be a good idea to let Killbucket become a pro and get the tools and skills he needs BEFORE he goes crazy with the recommendations. Right now it is putting the cart before the horse,and people could be disappointed. I have seen the knives he makes,some are interesting and inventive,and some are jerry rigged,and not built right at all. But I do know that will change in the future and I see him becoming very good and very popular.

and Don,to combine two totally different people and roll them up into one is a little insane. If you have problems with Roadside,that is fine. I won't try to change your mind. But he and I are two different people and the things you are saying about me personally are simply not true. I also talk to him on the phone often and he does not talk black.

I have been around for many many years.I know what I am talking about and plenty of people can attest to that. If you don't like the fact that I am not a kiss ass, I state the obvious,and say what others are too scared to say,then that is fine by me. Lots of other people appreciate my honesty.

So to sum it all up, what you guys are saying is that my opinion about makers like Tank,PLP,MM,etc is wrong. They should NOT be recommended before Killbucket. Also that my opinion is not wanted or needed because I am a bad person, because I speak my mind and who I choose to do business with. That's fine.I can live with that.
Last edited by Rubens Blades on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rubens Blades

Post by Rubens Blades »

tequiza wrote:
Rubens Blades wrote:

I don't see ILS promoting anything, he's simply saying have a look at killbuckets knives, he likes them, others may not, if you don't like what you see, then you don't have to buy anything, just move on :!: enough said :!:

That is interesting that you said that, and the timing is perfect. I tried to tell people to go to Roadsides site and check out the knives and the mods told me to chill and stop promoting him.

Just pointing this out so the double standard can be seen. But it's cool,if you want me out of this thread and you are saying that I am not allowed to express my opinions as freely as others do,and we are no longer allowed to state the obvious,then I guess I will have to live with that.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

ILS was not promoting, you were, yes, you'll have to live with that, and I told you enough said but you didn't listen :roll:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers